Electricity emergency:Possible cuts winter 2022/2023

Oops. Freezer.

Anker 767

I added chicken wire around the top of the chimney to avoid birds nesting, squirrels…… it’s worked well so far​:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:I have an insert wood burner which seemed hugely inefficient, so removed the plasterboard enclosure and amazed at the difference it’s made to the amount of heat it’s now releasing! Doesn’t look too beautiful, but functions - will look at getting a regular stove next year. Just in time, as starting to get a tad nippy :cold_face:

Many people consider top down sweeping more effective. I have no idea, but a lot of our friends consider it to be the “best”.

And we have solar powered lamps. Use in the garden in summer, but handy for power cuts.

As it happens one online booking site was showing RDV’s next week - not so much use as the first was Thursday and we’ll be leaving on Saturday, but I’m assuming we’re not expecting cuts that soon.

However might be useful to get it swept next week in anticipation of my visit in Jan.

1 Like

Maybe in the UK but I suspect there are many areas in rural France like us who cannot get a mobile signal at home, or in the garden fromn the top of a tree, have to rely on landline and internet orange box for service.
Hotspotting from a mobile is a great facility but without a signal :frowning:

1 Like

I realise this is the case.

I don’t know how the French address this - obviously if there is no mobile signal, households need some way of summoning the emergency services if needed - even if the power is out.

In practice this means you’d hope that the exchange end of the system was either protected from power loss or had battery backup sufficient to last 3-4 hours (if you are planning 2 hour outages with a bit of leeway on the battery system). That does leave the onus on householders to have a UPS to keep devices running - I favour the small self-contained 12V ones for this sort of thing eg:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TalentCell-Uninterrupted-27000mAh-Wireless-Smartphone/dp/B08FBB4Q8V

They are not too expensive, and will keep a router or Livebox going for 2-3 hours.

I just bought three more of these from AliExpress - I’ve had one working well and through several power outages on the fibre OTN and the VDSL modem, they’d probably take a battery upgrade to increase capacity by 50% if you were technically minded enough.

If anyone were to order via AliExpress be aware that the above product is NOT CE marked.

1 Like

Neighbours and the Mairie. The advantage of having 36,000 local administrative units (as against 333 local authorities in England).

2 Likes

That doesn’t work if it’s 6PM and the Mairie building and all your neighbour’s power is out as well.

For us, outside the signal is variable and depends where you stand.
Inside we get a good mobile signal in the kitchen only. In other rooms the stone walls are too thick and upstairs the roof insulation doesn’t help. It’s OK if you hang out of the bedroom window…

As for emergency services…

https://www.msn.com/fr-fr/actualite/france/risques-de-délestage-orange-sinquiète-de-coupures-du-réseau-mobile-cet-hiver/ar-AA14JMXp

You bash on Mayor’s front door, and he trots to the spot where there is a signal. Or in fact since the Mayor has police powers maybe he has a police radio at home?.

Trying to get my head around what it is that is worrying folk.

IF (and it’s only an IF) these “planned” cuts do come into play… 3 days warning will be given… and the cuts will be for a max of 2 hours per session (am/pm)…

3 days in advance, details will be published on the government website and the Mairies will publish notices/information and I suspect the Papers will be carrying information as well…

(of course some folk might like to use an app…)

How quaintly medieval.

1 Like

@Robert_Hodge and @crabtree24

You can sign up to receive the EcoWatt alerts by e-mail on the EDF website.

Thanks both but I don’t do apps and the EDF site could not find EcoWatt for me. :roll_eyes:

I’ll keep looking though, I know that site can be a bit clunky. :grinning:

Log in to your EDF espace client. You might find this banner across the top of the first page.

Follow the “+d’infos sur Ecowatt” link to find this site…
https://www.monecowatt.fr
…where you can sign up for simple SMS alerts if you don’t want to do anything appy.

Does it work with UK phone numbers?

You can sign up here for an alert SMS message: Inscription alerte vigilance coupure électrique | Ecowatt

Here’s the site… you can check it daily(ish) just like your bank balance…

2 Likes