Energy efficiency advice needed

Yes, even if the pool is unheated

OK - without divulging any professional secrets what do you reckon an “inefficient” unheated pool costs to run per year in kWh?

Given that you use rather a lot of 'leccy the first thing is probably to work out whether that is all going into the ballons or whether something else is to blame - ideally, I suppose, you’d attach current/power monitors but you could start with something simpler…

Of the 4000€ how much is the overnight and how much the daytime rate?

Do you run anything else apart from the ballons overnight?

Do you need/allow the ballons to heat during the day?

How does the usage compare when you have the gite ballon turned on, compared with months when it is turned off?

1 Like

The renewable energy company we used provided us with the costs of all options, renewable and conventional so we could compare the costs both of installing new equipment and the running costs. It usefully proved that it didn’t make economic sense for us to switch right now.

As I said before do look at whether HP/HC is costing you more than you need. Things like this may help
https://calculettes.energie-info.fr/calculettes/meilleure-option-tarifaire

I waited to see if the OP came back before going off on a tangent, I doubt they will be back as we are not clever enough. :laughing:

Obviously certain things will have to be generalised but a small pool and assuming 180 days of running around 1,555kw. A mid sized pool 3,200kw and a large pool 4,750kw

Worthwhile savings then if you really can reduce it by 90%.

For the OP I think the 1st thing is to see if the majority of the bill is going into heating the water or heating the house - although from what he has said I think the latter is the wood burner/gas.

It was discussed before, seems you need about 35%?? of your daily use at night to make it worth it. That may change if you opt to get a electric vehicle and use overnight charging at home

Hi John,

I have trawled for insights regarding the running costs for large salt water system pools in France and am unable to get even a good ballpark. You, by far, appear to be the most knowledgeable ( and generous with it) in this area across the entire interweb. Might you be able to give me a ballpark annual electricity cost to run a 15 x 5 x 2.5m salt water pool in Lot et Garonne? I think either myself or my filtration system are inefficiently! and one of use may need to be replaced!

Thx a million - Simon

Hi Simon,
Thanks for the kind words. I may be able to give you a ball park figure once I know a little more, On a pool I worked on in the Dordogne we removed a 2.2kw pump which was on a 12m x 6m x 2m pool. That size of pump was to try and achieve the recommended turnover rate as detailed on another thread, it could never have achieved this aim due to the internal resistance of the system.

What pump have you, what size and type of filter, how many skimmers, returns and main drains and the size of your pipe work, how far is the plant room from the pool, average run time for the filtration system? Sorry for all the questions but the other alternative is pure gueswork €700-800.

Thanks John,

We will be back at the house in October and I’ll try to get all the info then - in the interim your €7-800 is a good starting point.

image003.jpg