English cheese

I wonder if the cheese is coming from southern Ireland.

In all the years we’ve been going to and fro… UK/France
sometimes we’ve been searched, sometimes not…
sometimes the customs guys have had sniffer dogs, sometimes not…
Once or twice we’ve had to empty the entire boot…

We’ve travelled early/late/middling… and there seems no rhyme or reason why/when searches happen.

So, why would anyone run the risk of getting caught…???
It’s absolutely beyond me.

1 Like

Taking a related but sideways step. Has anyone here found a suitable replacement for Jacobs Cream Crackers? I am down to my last 3 packets and will not be visiting the UK until next year.

Heudebert crackers nature available in most supermarkets are acceptable.

https://www.carrefour.fr/p/crackers-ble-complet-heudebert-3017760619899?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpf2IBhDkARIsAGVo0D0xohu5NSRJmG9mFx2XBOQXAjfNGuEMjcU-U4br87FQ5FZGRwC9Mc4aAquwEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

2 Likes

I’ll second that, Jane. It’s what we use - one you get used to the fact the French “Crackers” are half the size of UK ones (because used for aperitifs?) they are fine :smiley:

[quote=“JJones, post:36, topic:36377”]
Most ports have people walking round with sniffer dogs - but depends what they are trained to detect!

For at least thirty years, Heathrow has had dogs trained to detect biltong coming in on SAA flights and others from JHB and CT. English biltong doesn’t cut the mustard with SA expats, and anyway I’d be surprised if you could get kudu biltong (the best!) anywhere in Europe.

Connock’s Butchery (not a typo) Grahamstown, Eastern Cape - now that’s what I call biltong!

1 Like

I use Norman-off-The-Bakeoff"s recipe for Farthing Biscuits for High Bake Water Biscuits and they’re absolutely f…g brilliant.

The only place I’ve seen them in recent-ish years was Fortnum’s. Though Bath Olivers from Waitrose were doing me quite well too.

Good thinking, technology makes it very easy now to " have your card marked" and be searched more often