English paint delivered to France

Hi Martin, You say "Surely, paint is paint" and then go on to denigrate a well respected brand. Surely some inconsistency there. Anyway, you'll be relieved to know your GPS coordinates are unnecessary, I'll just look out for the house with flaking and peeling shutters next time I'm trolling through the Aude :-)

Hi Kate,

Thanks for the tip regarding the Johnstone's Stormshield exterior wood paint. Sounds very similar to the French Tollens product. I'll have a look at price comparison.

Cheers, Phil

Hi there.
Just reading your feedback on our business.
We set up our company from market research and customer feedback in our own store in the UK. Our results showed a very huge amount of ex pats preferring English paint to the French paint. I, personally haven’t used it myself. In our store where we are, we strive in selling the best quality trade products on the market and giving the best price, and customer service. And we offer the above things to a customer who lives round the corner from us, or, an expat living in France. Our purpose, is to supply the best to those who approach us. Where ever they are. We do not at all deliberately try and take business from paint companies, or try and damage French paints reputation on purpose.
What we do, is cater as professionally as we can to those in France, who do want English paint.
In terms of an exterior wood paint paint - that lasts. Here is one of our products for your reference. This is not saying the others are not to standard, this is just our own recommended product, to those who would potentially want to use it :slight_smile:

http://www.johnstonestrade.com/product-range/product.aspx?product=Flexible_Gloss

It also comes in a satin finish, and a compatible primer undercoat also.

I’m more than happy to discuss positively if anyone has any queries at all on us and how we work. We are more than happy to help :slight_smile:

I've brought paint from the UK for our interior work, for both wood and walls etc, but have struggled to find a paint, in particular colour wise, for our shutters.

We have been recommended to use Tollens E13.54 (if that's the right code) microstatic satine peinture (microporous pour bois). We too have a place in the Aude (the village of Pepieux) and can vouch for the hot burning long summer sun. (If only it was like that now back here on the Isle of Man!!)

I would definitely agree with John Scully on this - paints suitable for use on the Mediterranean coast, either for exterior or interior applications cannot logically be marketed as suitable for those particular applications and it still boils down to you get what you pay for - in the UK or France. I'm a Tollens fan!!

Surely, paint is paint. Are some now advocating that we give GPS coordinates when we order paint? We use Brewers own, Albany, exterior wood paint down here in the Aude. On average in is said we have 360 days of sunshine. It lasted 11 years. If you use Farrow and Ball, the current trendy paint, it will not last anywhere other than safely tucked up indoors. Just finished the shutters. This time we used Dulux Weathershield.

1 Like

Or learn to make your own paint? http://www.tiez-breiz.org/stages.php#chaulages. I haven't done this course but I've really enjoyed and benefited from some of their other courses.

I've posted this before and I'm sorry to have to post it again. UK paint is not, while cheap, necessarily suitable for France and in many cases is unsuitable. I have a friend that painted all his (many) shutters with UK Farrow and Ball and it hasn't even lasted a season. While the cost of paint is a factor the cost of labour (even if one does it one's self) is far greater. I've used (very expensive ) Tolens for my shutters and it's like a PVC coating. Super durable and fit for purpose. It is designed for environment. Don't be ripped off by folk that will just ship you cheaper UK paint that is not up to the job is my advice.

Just spotted Catherine's comment - sorry we are somewhat busy running the business and renovating the house, and preparing for the Deux Sevres Monthly trade fair on Saturday ( Secondigny ) - if anyone wants to investigate the natural paints we have on offer - we also have hemp oil, waxes and floor lacquers. and we offer great customer service - even on our days off!

Hi everyone - I have nothing against an English company supplying products and advice to those who willingly wish to use this admirable service to advance their own particular projects in France.

However, I'd like to go back to the origins of these postings which was French paint was of a largely inferior quality and twice the price! My recent research has indicated that both these assumptions are false and a complete nonsense! If one is talking about customer service and French offhand/rudeness/disinterest - that is a completely different subject and I would venture the opinion that it comes under 'Culture Differences' not DIY!!

If any of you would like advise on DIY, decorating in France, colour advise etc etc. Please feel free to contact me - info@englishpaintdeliveredtofrance.com / 01422 845262
We are not all about tredding on any body’s toes,or even down grading the quality of French paint. Everyone is entitled to their opinion ! But, if you have a project, and would prefer an English brand, please feel free to get in touch,and i’d be more than happy to assist :slight_smile:

Sue - make sure you add the link to your page - that way you can direct people there and they can find you if they are interested !

Al Rogers - your friend Claude is absolutely correct - it's all down to the prep! However, haiving done some research recently, I've discovered that there isn't really 'French' paint as such as the big companies are either owned by the Brits, the Dutch or an amalgamation! Like anything else, it pays to shop around and with the 'pouvoir d'achat' reduced, many leading brands have joined the bandwagon of home improvements with some extraordinary price reductions - living in France myself, I prefer to see the can of paint I want to buy if I don't know in advance, but if I do, can always purchase on Internet!

I always find these paint threads interesting because of my upcoming move to France and the near certainty of having to do a fair bit of decorating. My new friend Claude, who recently moved with his American wife to Scotland from France via the US, was amazed when I belittled the quality of his native paint. He's a keen DIYer and insisted that, in his experience, French paints worked perfectly well provided the surface was primed properly. He claimed the last paint he put on in France lasted many years. I plan to take over British paint because of comments on this and other sites but I may try a pot or two of the French stuff out of interest.

Al

Horses for courses I am sure, but, if you are looking to buy good paint in France look no further than 79120 Le Bois de Messé - for decorative Annie Sloan Chalk Paint ™ and now Miss Mustard Seeds Milk Paint - perfect for all uses and easy to use - covers in one coat and on furniture there is no preparation. I guess we may not cater for those who just want shed loads of emulsion but for those who want to take decoration to another level come and see us soon. (Link removed as per T&C) - Annie Sloan is proud to support small local businesses and that is what we are - we need your support too ...

Check out www.interditaupublic.com/5881-peinture-peinture -60% off!

Thanks Jacquie for speaking so kindly about me and my company on here! I'm glad your chuffed with your paint and the service - it's what I strive for! Kate :-)

After reading about Kate's business on here, I decided to try her and cannot recommend her customer service and the quality of paint enough. As I didn't require anything like a pallet load; I chose to have it delivered to friends visiting England to receive free delivery. When the delivery was set, my freinds who were on holiday were going to be out on the day of delivery. Kate was worried that if it was left, it might be taken so she went the extra mile to reschedule the delivery. She matched colors from the Farrow and Ball color chart and it is the first time in buying UK paint that I received exactly the color that I thought I was ordering. It was far less expensive and equal to the quality and everything about the experience exceeded my expectations, I couldn't be more pleased. The bonus was that on two of the shades 1 coat did the job. Thank you Kate and Survive France for yet again another great recommendation!

I'd like to throw in a recommendation for Johnstone's. When I built our last house, with under-floor heating under jointed chipboard, I used International floor paint in the living room. I though that, since I'd always been happy with their boaty stuff, that the domestic stuff would be really good - WRONG! It was a pig to paint on; really sticky, and took days to dry. Although it wore OK.

I used Johnstone's on the rest of the floors; easy, peasy to apply, dried quickly and HALF THE PRICE. Wore just as well.

I used to buy from Kate when living in England, fab service and choice of colours. We now buy the paint here if France, after trying various types of french paint there is no comparison. It’s a quick and efficient service and definitely worth the delivery charge. We even got oil based gloss from her which was desperately needed. ThAnks Kate.