Epson Cartridge Anomaly

Rleased 4 years ago, already replaced by a newer model.

1 Like

Probably juste ‘volé’.

Well, we could say “stolen” in English, but where’s the fun in that?

“c’est tombĂ© du ciel” peut-ĂȘtre?

1 Like

au queue du camion :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was asked by a notaire how to say “dessous de table” in English. I told him that in this particular context the expression would be ‘fraud’.
I’m not a great fan of euphemisms.

2 Likes

Surely they are just part of the rich fabric of language?

1 Like

I have had a Brother ink jet for the last 6 years. super piece of equipment. The hook up was really plug and play and the cartidges dont break the bank. €60 for a pack of 4 cartridges. Preiously i was a HP person but when the went down i changed to Brother, mainly for the scanner function. Connection to the orange box was so quick.

A long time in IT terms.
Direct comparison of the price of a set of cartridges doesn’t tell the whole story. Brother cartridges will print 3 times as many pages as Epson’s at about the same price price for a multipack.
Have you tried compatibles?

We had a network HP colour laserjet which was well over 12 years old before we decided to replace it with a newer up-to-date colour duplexing model (about half its bulk size). It was still working well and we sold it on rather than just dump it. AFAIK, the friend we sold it to is still using it!

That would have run on XP, I think?
Impressive if they made a driver that works on Win 10.

We used it in more recent times on Ubuntu (Linux).
It struggled with my wife’s laptop on Win7 - sometimes working, sometimes not. A bit of a mystery tbh.
When we bought it, we used Windows Server (forgotten which version).

That’s one of the nice things about Ubuntu, if enough people show an interest, someone will produce a driver. It’s not all about money.

1 Like

long may that continue

No argument with using euphemism, metaphor, other literary devices to enrich language, but a big problem with their use as a way of rendering things of which we should disapprove less obvious, or masking realities.

1 Like

But can lead to misunderstandings, especially for foreigners.
America - Use the bathroom.
UK - Wash your hands.

1 Like

I think it is multifactorial. Context is important, isn’t it. Mastery of a language as well - we don’t expect foreigners to understand as well as native speakers. Cultural taboos have linguistic repercussions and these obviously vary :grin:
I remember being asked when I was pregnant with my first daughter “when did you fall” by a well-meaning woman and having a conversation at total crosspurposes with her, because I have a tendency to go over my ankles and fall over quite often, but that isn’t what she meant.
I had never heard the turn of phrase before.

Similarly Fr people will say ‘X est parti’ as, in English, people might say ‘X passed’: personally I don’t like either usage.
X has died/X est mort does me fine.

1 Like

completely off-thread
 but, yes
 I too hate it when folk use “passed”

Mind you no French folk around here say that (or, at least not to me)
 some of the Brits and Americans do say it and, if they are in my hearing
 I try not to look too exasperated
 :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

Oh, I agree too. Passed into what or where?
If they’re dead - simple. Just tell it like it is. It’s not heartless IMO, it’s just expressing a fact.

1 Like

Or the gone to sleep euphemism

yep
 that too