Escape to the Chateau review: an inspiring fairytale about crumbling walls

@Graham, I think Charles Field’s rudely and imprecisely phrased question was directed at me. I entirely support your answer to it :grin:

4 Likes

Well yes the performance is far from reality.
Paying guests are lead to their bedroom past a clothes horse in the
hallway which was covered with laundry.
The sign on the chateau gate is turned on its side and there is only
one toilet available for 60 guests and no wash basen.
This couple are just renting the chateau and even so they built a bridge!
I hope that they asked the property owners for permission?
Could we say, perhaps that escape to the chateau is a modern day fairy story?
But the power of the media…especially TV !

1 Like

Barbara. Perhaps they are intending to buy this château - their mission seems to be ‘try before they buy’?
Other than that, maybe the TV company paid for the bridge and DS’ consultation fee.

Yes I do agree…there is more to it than meets the eye.
However willing and energetic this couple are they come across
as a little like the first daisies of spring. …and, of course not proFessional
in the event world.
However they will get lots of reservations and that is the main reason for appearing
on the series…I believe.

Much more polite then to ensure your missive is directed at the correct person then… and if you bugger it up, to at least have the common decency to 'fess up. This site provides many opportunities/tools to make clear who you are addressing.

Good to see good will flowing freely :+1: :rofl:

1 Like

Yes I do agree…there is more to it than meets the eye.
However willing and energetic this couple are they come across
as a little like the first daisies of spring. …and, of course not progessional
in the event world.
However they will get lots of reservations

I think that you will find that I did use the tool to indicate who I was replying to, or for vero “to whom I was replying”.
You just chose to ignore it or you do not understand how to reply to an individual.

I’m not going to argue with you. I can see now that the reply was to Vero and I missed it, so apologies for that.
I know very well how to use the site, thank you very much but missed it this occasion :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Been watching more of the “DIY” series - frequently don’t know whether to laugh, cry or cringe - mostly the latter.

There are a lot of hard-working property owners struggling to run B&B’s and gites, and make a little profit but some,… well the less said the better.

The guy who tried sawing a lead-acid battery down to reduce its size by 25mm, resulting in sulphuric acid pouring all over the place, then trying to plug the hole with silicone sealant pretty much took the biscuit.

His attempts at dealing with a bee problem were equally cringeworthy.

I can empathise with him over the battery though… the Kubota battery is smaller than standard and about twice the price…

1 Like

My favourite story of the past week was pointing in direct sunshine on a day when it was in the mid 30s. It’s great TV though.

1 Like

It wouldn’t have been nearly such fun on a grey, chilly day…:upside_down_face::wink:

1 Like

oh dear!
Perhaps the bees and the battery was as you said
But people do go to crazy lengths to their dreams into reality.
So please do not cringe or judge.
Some of us have mad dreams.

As I said there are some very hard working individuals trying to restore, renovate and make a success of their properties and I wish them luck because it is clearly an uphill struggle.

We have also observed that “reality” TV exposure does not necessarily present people in their best light.

But there does come a time where basic knowledge about how things work comes in useful!!

Oh yes three bags full!!!
It is a TV programme…
Many of these people go on to be succesful with their
hotels and B and Bs …the power of the media is huge.

Talking basics … the guy filling in the bees on the roof has the ladder around the wrong way, the bottom section should be nearest the building.

2 Likes

Hope that he does not fall off. Probably comes from the cirque de soliel circus family.

1 Like

Him being Dutch (IIRCC) he’s probably encouraged by a bit of whacky baccy :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

His wife is Dutch, he’s originally from the UK