Etsy.com - is it all it's cracked up to be for selling craft work?

Hi Zeem,

Technically SFN forbids 'out-linking' from Posts and Comments to a commercial enterprise. However, you can link 'out' to your FaceBook page from your Profile Page. If you submit your work to the Art Dept Gallery, we will ensure that it appears on the Art Department FB page, where you can make your own ( and persuade friends to ) comments, including 'lnks' to your sites/ Blog etc.

Ron Birks

Good evening everyone,

I have been a member here for a while but never posted anything... so I hope it's going to work :-)

This subject caught my attention as I make gargoyles and have just created a facebook page and wondered what to do next !

https://www.facebook.com/LesGargouillesDeVaour

and I started a blog (bit of a random idea plodding along blind ! lol)... also having a stab at Pinterest.. which was the reaason for the blog (you can't pin photos from facebook so I need my gargoyles somewhere else on the net !)

I work in France and the gargoyles are my pastime/passion... I don't really want the hassle of auto-entrepreneur (I have heard that the paperwork is a nightmare).... so I was thinking of le bon coin or ebay ... but reading this thread makes me think that I could consider ALM or Etsy... I will take a look and post again with any news...

Meanwhile, I would love if any reading would take a look at my little friends 'The Gargoyles from Vaour'

Speak soon

ps.. I love the metalwork Renny !!

Sounds like a good idea Helen to link up.

It's interesting to hear how different things seem to work for different people, but agreed, it definitely takes hard work.

I know some people have just opened shops on A Little Market and others have been on Etsy for a while. Would be really interesting to check in to this topic now and again and find out how people are getting on!

how true, different social media sites work better for different people. I believe some are naturally inclined towards some and make the best use of those sites e.g. my blog does not really work for me because I never have enough photos, the best blogs I've seen have really beautiful photography. I find FB and flickr quicker and easier.

Suzie will convo you on etsy with her thoughts, sometimes the smallest of tweaks can yield results.

Good luck with it.

It's interesting, some find that Blogs help sales, some with Twitter, some Flickr and some with Facebook. So what works for one doesn't necessary work for another. However I think what we can all agree on, is that it is HARD work trying to sell over the net and takes time. I suggest we all try to link with each other on our various sites as links can bring in potential customers. Whatever means we use, it is an uphill struggle and there is no easy route to success.

yes,thanks Nickie, I would be interested to hear what advice she has. Constructive criticism is always useful.

Thank you for raising this topic I have had an etsy shop for ages but have always sold what I put up for sale there myself, before some one purchased from etsy so constantly seem to have an empty shop and then make no sales. It's the curse of small product lines and one off items. I make children's clothes. I got a lot of looks on etsy but I did wonder if people were just looking at my ideas! terrible thought I know.

I also work with my husband making statues in reconstituted marble so I think a little market might be a good try for both our boutique. I agree it's very hard to keep up all this online marketing. I do a facebook page for both the clothes and the marble and have a website for both . I can't spare the time for blogging i had a go but couldn't see a great deal of difference between what I would put on a blog as opposed to that which I would put on facebook and frankly face book is faster for me. Habit I guess. The majority of my sales are direct to the public at artisans markets. I have just had a successful if somewhat wet weekend at the marché aux Fleurs in Fources (32)

I will set up little market in the next couple of days and then we can friend.

Hello again Helen,

I have had a lot of help and advice from an experienced etsyian. In fact she is going to help me with my rather poor photography this week. She has taken a look at your shop and has some advice / ideas of tweaks you could try. I can ask her to convo you if you would like.

Thanks Helen, bon courage to you as well, let me know how it goes! I havent had any sales yet but a lot more views already than my website gets.

Hi Renny,

I've just looked at your shop and added it to Favourites. Lovely work - bon courage as they say!

Thanks for starting this thread. I have read with interest as I need an outlet for my own work and I think I have now found it in A little Market! This is the address http://www.alittlemarket.com/boutique/ferronnier_d_art-168697.html although I only started doing it last night so I need to improve the photos and banner and add lots more content (and correct the French!)

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks if I'm hitting the right audience.

Your work is lovely by the way. Have you considered using dawanda?

http://fr.dawanda.com/

Selling vintage is certainly not the same as trying to sell arts / handmade / crafts on etsy. I've tried this and stopped having failed to sell anything. I know it IS possible: I know one of the biggest sellers of handmade goods in France on etsy.

She believes several things. 1. the power of the blog - her blog is very well read. 2. playing the etsy game - participate in teams, get into treasuries, network. 3. repeat customers and loyalty - she has a good following on facebook. 4. she runs promotions, does giveaways etc and believes these work.

My opionion? she has an identity that people like and respond to. People like her brand of "whimsy". She has a "product line" that can be sold as supplies and incorporated into other artwork (she is big in quilting circles).

Another friend who had an etsy shop to sell her sculptures and photography has closed it. She believes that people need to see her work in the physical world, pick it up and appreciate it.

All I can say is keep on going! bon chance

wow you have a lot of items for sale. Fantastic. Well done.

I can see why you use Flickr as you have so many photos.

I guess you source from the many french markets.

Hi Jillian,

here is my link to the shop.

http://www.alittlemarket.com/boutique/artpaperboxes-167125.html

Send me your's and I'll add you to my Favoris.

I am getting faster at taking the photos and am lucky to have a good camera so I can adjust the settings. I use a sheet of cream paper which I find best for the background.

I have had direct sales as a result of photos posted on flickr - I would really recommend giving this a go. I'm not giving up on FB even though its a struggle.

Good luck with your shop - can you post a link to it?

this is mine by the way

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Histoires

Folksy will only accept work from makers in the UK. If you live abroad you are not elligle. And the same applies to Not on The Highstreet which is another brilliant site for individual designer makers in the UK.

Does France have an equivalent?

Apparently jewellery is the most successful of all the items for sale on Esty, apart from supplies. Why don't you all add your etsy shop to this discussion and we can promote your shops and add them to our list of favourites?

Hi, I am a new member.. I too had been with Etsy for a year now and had spent lots and lots of time on the computer uploading images and write up with not much success. Tried FB and twitter and blog which are useless to me.

I was thinking what to do next.

Having read these discussions I am now very much encouraged and now just want explore the possibilities of getting the right audience and customers, keep going and keep creating.

thank you all

Try this?

http://folksy.com/