EU proposes second Brexit referendum

I think if the situation arose, there’d be EU support for a united Ireland within the EU. Hopefully one day it’ll come to pass, and in my opinion (for what that’s worth) before Scottish independence becomes achievable. Despite sectarian divisions, Ireland is a self-contained geographical entity and in that context, NI is increasingly becoming an anomaly that’s much easier to resolve than say that of divided Cyprus

1 Like

And if penalties fail to find a winner, then toss a coin -

Ah! but would that be a £ or a €, or would a $ be more neutral choice? Decisions, decisions!

2 Likes

I am concerned that the clause in the Elections Bill that will lead to the disappearance of the fifteen year rule may well disappear, as it must be obvious that those who will become re enfranchised will not be voting for the Tory Party.
I have put a question to my MP asking what is happening to this clause in the Bill and have been awaiting an answer for some time.
May I suggest that all of you do the same.

1 Like

I hope it is true, although I am already dual national to Italy. However I would love to have UK back.

I think they probably miss the money !!

Would much prefer if the EU would offer us Brits that were betrayed by our own Gov a European Citizen status or something along these lines.Those of us who would prefer to remain an EU citizen and continue to enjoy the vast array of benefits of being so could do so.

3 Likes

Would they do that just for us? They already get our money in taxes :slight_smile:

And the quid pro quo would be… ?
A Yorkshireman would tell you that you nivver get owt for nowt.

1 Like

Why should we? What do we get out of it? (Speaking as an EU person).
Actions have consequences, democracy means not everyone will be happy with the consequences of a popular vote. I’m sorry but giving you some sort of EU citizenship isn’t our job, get it sorted by your own government, they are responsible for the dog’s breakfast after all. If you want EU citizenship you can apply for it in the normal way by demonstrating commitment to an EU country.

6 Likes

Because you are all nice, kind, understanding Europeans who feel ever so slightly sorry for us hard done by resortissants britanniques :hugs::hugs::rofl:

1 Like

Nope. At least not understanding. If I see someone shoot himself in the foot I don’t feel sorry for him and I won’t go and get a sponge for his mate next to him covered in blood, who should have stopped him.

some of us never had a chance to “have stopped 'em”… some of us simply had the rug pulled out from under our feet, which were firmly planted in France (and still are).

But I do understand why France can’t make special provisions… it would become the thin end of the wedge for all other immigrants and get things into a complete frazzle…

Yep, it’s Britain’s fault and Britain needs to sort it, but I doubt it will be done in my lifetime… and I intend to make it to 100.

2 Likes

No I know Stella and I am sorry for you and others in that situation, but that remark pissed me off as being typical of the having cake and eating it attitude many UK and dare I say particularly English people demonstrate.
Vast array of benefits got me grinding my teeth nicely.

3 Likes

Not strictly accurate, unfortunately a majority of mis guided and bruised (I’ve been
left behind) people voted by a majority to leave the EU. It was not a betrayal by government, where they are culpable is the way it was carried out. People didn’t vote to leave the Single M or Customs Union, but we did …that’s how we were betrayed.

As Stella says Vero, many if not most of us were not given the chance to reject the idea of Brexit. And personally I do not expect the French government to maintain our EU citizenship, the EU should have done so if it wishes to remain true to its avowed aim of democracy.

@Stella

it would become the thin end of the wedge for all other immigrants and get things into a complete frazzle…

No it wouldn’t we are talking of totally different things here. ‘All other immigrants’ were not EU citizens before arriving. We were EU citizens and followed all the rules to maintain that position, but our citizenship was ruthlessly ripped away from us leaving us totally without any vote, anywhere. Some democracy.

You were/are British citizens, but your EU citizenship derived from being a citizen of a member state, so now as the state of which you are citizens isn’t part of the EU any more, because it decided democratically to leave the EU, you no longer have that EU citizenship. It isn’t an individual thing. The EU can’t confer citizenship, member states do.

I know this is very well known and old hat - and it is unfair and puts you in a horrible position. But it is down to internal to the UK decisions and processes. It isn’t up to us in the EU to interfere in the internal affairs of a sovereign state, beyond giving our opinion, nor is it up to us - mean though it seems - to mop up the collateral damage left behind by kakocracy.

Its all done and dusted and we (british immigrant CDS holders) understand that and are mainly unaffected these days. The stupidity of it all still pisses me off though

2 Likes

Don’t be despondent. I think the UK has a good chance of doing very well in the future after a messy period of, say, a further 6 years or so.

Trouble is, I think it’s the country and the oligarchy that lives and is increasingly just hosted, in the UK that may do well. As I think @Geof_Cox does I am very worried that ordinary people will be treated as a massive, ever-expanding underclass of serfs servicing the oligarchy, but with no decency or protection or benefits even though they work very hard.

Europe also has structural things to deal with and our proximity to a certain Russian bear is going to need thinking about. Relatively, the UK can now move fleeter and faster and decide their own destiny but decent leadership is needed.

I understand that but, as EU citizens we should have been protected from things that threatened that citizenship over which we had no control. Apart from anything else, while we were citizens it should have had our interests at heart on seeing that our democratic rights were not being ignored, ie by the proposed referendum rules. That was undemocratic and the EU should have protected its citizens from that threat.

The EU is going out of its way to protect Ukrainian refugees, and rightly so, and so has proved that it is willing and able to be flexible in the interests of democracy.

Not from the EU, but from France. I wonder if you approve of long time French residents in France continuing to pay French taxes but being deprived of their former minimum local democracy too. This is not apparently the case in the UK where similar French citizens, UK residents, are aloud to take part in local elections.

1 Like

I am very grateful for what the EU has granted us as CdSWA holders.
The one benefit I do miss in France, is being able to vote in our local elections with all that this implies…

On another tack… can one take the language test required for Citizenship… before one splashes out on all the documents/translations etc.
I have been led to understand that special arrangements can be made for those who have hearing/sight impediments … to have a face to face “exam”… is this true???

yours hopefully…