EV power provision at Gites

Adam1 are you still going-on about this? I recall you spending a lot of time on another forum on the same topic.

That would be a ridiculous price for the installation of any charger usable in a domestic situation (i.e. up to 22kW triphasé).
@JaneJones is nearer the mark with her 1k€ figure.

Again, ridiculous for such a thing.

Any charging point of 3,7kW capacity or above must be installed by an approved professional.

There is nothing to stop you from fitting a dedicated exterior socket which can be used by the slow chargers that most (not all) EVs come with. They typically only draw 2,3kW/10A but are perfectly sufficient to provide plenty of kWh during an overnight charge e.g. 2,3 x 10 hours = 23 kWh.

You could fit a resale approved meter to the dedicated circuit & therefore charge (!) accordingly. Another option is to meter the whole gîte supply & charge for all use.

You may want to think about providing properly made adaptors from a French plug to a selection of other socket types, as holiday makers will turn up with chargers with the connector of their home country on.

Lots of gîtes, & I’ve done the installation course too, but I’ve retired…

Thanks Jane. Yes, I am with you! I need to get this done for next year.

You interest me in the grant that you had - what was/is the procedure for this? Do you mind sharing?

Thanks.

Not a grant, credit impôt.

That seems like the fairest thing to do to me. Let folks pay for what they use in the same way that they would at home.

Choose the right box Adam and it will allow you to charge (no pun intended) for what is used.

I paid around €1500 installed for a 22KW unit with the extra box that balances your house needs and the charger needs. Seems to have billing features too, but I don’t need them.

Of course, none of these things are chargers, the charger is in the vehicle :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Do you have a gîte? GdF often pay above 7kWh a day which is seen as old fashioned and a pain in the neck to manage. Holiday makers tend to prefer to be on holiday and pay an inclusive rental for the period. With specific extras, tourist tax, like EV charge or extra wood.

This is perhaps every Gite Owner needs to check on…

Many might have done so already :grin:

just like everything else… something really important can never be said too often.
no matter how we try, there will still be folk who miss it… until it is too late :roll_eyes:

EDIT:If there is an incident/accident… Insurers of the Gite will naturally look closely to see whether or not their small print about “Charging EV’s” (and everything else) was complied with…
No doubt different Assurers will view “Charging EV’s” differently… better to find out how one’s existing Assurer stands on this… before it’s needed.

Yes an exterior grade socket if its for outdoors but unless its a larger supply 7kW or 22kW which would need its own dedicated supply its the house wiring that needs checking not really anything to do with the EV, you could equally be running any heavy duty piece of equipment outside and have the same issue.

I second that statement.

The load drawn by any EV charger that uses a domestic plug does not represent a load that should create any issue with properly installed wiring.

However, it is best to treat an EV as a large appliance (like a water heater) that draws a reasonable load for a long period. This is the reason that such things have a dedicated circuit so that this continuous load flows through the minimum number of other connections. Electrical fires tend to be caused by bad/loose/sloppily made connections.

If one is wanting to meter EV charging use then a dedicated circuit is essential.

@Badger @Corona and everyone.
The point I’m making is that IF the Gite Assurance lays down the law re EV charging… and sys “NO”… either the Gite Owner changes to a “EV charging” compliant Assurance… or does not offer that “perk” to Gite tenants…

Fully agree that correct wiring is essential…
but Assurance Companies “details/restrictions”… are ignored at one’s peril.

1 Like

What was quoted was no to using a socket in the gîte. So the provision of a dedicated and suitable socket is a different matter.

1 Like

Exactly so.

If I was a gîte owner I would be asking my insurance company NOW about this & getting chapter & verse about EV charging.

Actually, everyone should be asking this question. Fires aren’t exclusive to holiday lets.

5 Likes

Exactly and checking electrics prevents fires insuring your house doesnt. You might rebuild it but would have lost everything. Similar to sweeping your chimney, its a safety precaution control measure.
Thats the way engineers look at things, others view them differently of course.

3 Likes

or your heirs and successors in the most grave of circumstances :wink:

1 Like

Is it possible to get a meter on the supply that the user pays using a credit/debit card like they would at a service station?

Quite possibly but it would need a new supply, cost upwards of €4000, and then have credit card fees too. So only worth it if in use several times a day!

And others will be doing so very shortly.