Exchange UK driving licence for French

I’m going to have to ask this Brian - was there an indication on your Avis that you were obliged to change your licence and if not why are you doing so?

until perhaps you have an accident and then find out that you don’t have any insurance…
There were opportunities to resolve the issue by taking a FR driving test or changing the licence before the problems arrived. In essence, I have no sympathy except for some poor unfortunate who gets killed or maimed or suffers some other loss at the hands of an uninsured driver.
There are NO excuses.

I have no idea what the information on the avis was! So no idea whether to ignore it or nor. But the question is now mute (unless you get another infraction) since you are now stuck until 6 months before expiry under current provisions.

I tried several times to change my licence, with no luck. And then the last time I managed to hit the window where ANTs were processing UK licences, and mine went through. OH sent his in about a week/10 days later and his application was rejected. It was a mess! But slowly improving one hopes.

I posted a link to an Avis and indicated the section in which the message is noted, perhaps you’d like to read it and then amend what you’ve just posted, thanks.

Yawn, same old, same old Graham.

Perhaps you can understand now why I didn’t want to get into this with you or anyone else. Some situations in life are never perfect and driving on a UK driving licence here is a good example.

All I’ve seen is a link to an English translation about having received an infraction notice. Is that what you mean? I never rely on english translations and it has no date so no idea if it is current. And I didn’t see anything about flagging up if an exchange was required.

Edit: I have just read the link. And section 4 (not 5) on page two refers to people with European or EEE licences. Neither are relevant to a Non-European such as a British person.

There was nothing on my avis non plus but in the end the Gendarmes called round and invited me in to see them where it was made very clear that i needed to exchange my licence.

1 Like

You might wish to edit that post to remove the personal reference thanks

That’s odd as you were okay with a personal reference on another thread a couple of days ago.

Nice try Jane, the wording hasn’t changed for years so applied when the UK was still in the EU.

Oh Tim, we’re talking about now, not then! And the question is whether British people (like Brian) who get a speeding point have to change their licences. And the answer is clearly yes. In time gone by it was optional and bloody ANTs generally rejected people who had the temerity to try!

1 Like

When the Avis was sent out would they be aware that you did not hold a French licence? Obviously under normal circumstances a French licence holder would not need to change their licence anyway.

By all means do what you will but trying to tell everyone that the points thing was a myth when it plainly isn’t is misleading & a tad annoying…

Why has tim17 's post got up so many noses? It is surely just anobservation from something he has in his posession.If you don’t like what he says mute him and be done with it

Not quite. He was implying that people were circulating untruths.

There seems to be a holier then thou attitude creeping on to this site.

1 Like

Not that I detect. Just normal reactions to people saying up is down, or pink is green.

The section on the back on the Avis mentioning having to change the licence would suggest that the authorities were aware that you weren’t a French licence holder otherwise why is that section there?

There clearly seems to be a contradiction as to whether you have to automatically change your licence after an infraction, your link says ‘yes’ but the Avis effectively says ‘maybe’ and that was the reason for my original ‘myth’ comment based purely on personal experience.

I had a crash in 2009 and one gendarme was arsy, the other one was lovely and he ticked the no need to change your licence box on the ´infraction’ paperwork.

I then got stopped for speeding in 2014. Thé elderly male gendarme got very stroppy because his young female sidekick laughed out loud when he approached the passenger windows. I was alone in a RHD….

He asked why I hadn’t changed my licence for a French one, to which I replied ‘because I don’t need to’ to which he replied ‘well you do now!’

So I agree with @tim17 , it’s discretionary!

1 Like

Quite right, it is discretionary (aka impossible) unless you are within 6 months of expiry or collect points. Things , beginning with B…, have changed since 2014

1 Like

Just so I’m clear, are you saying that the obligation to change your licence after an infraction only applies UK licence holders?