Extinction Rebellion, pro or anti?

Happy Easter To All Our Readers! :sun_with_face::full_moon::rabbit::innocent:

1 Like

Yes Happy Easter. Although you may be surprised to learn after my last comment that I am a lapsed Catholic and enjoy religion as a fascinating historical subject. Am also interested in others views. And very grateful for all the beautiful buildings resulting from faith in god/ gods.

In actual factā€¦ I always understood the text to roughly meanā€¦
ā€œpay your duesā€ā€¦ (to Caesar, here on earth and in God, in heaven)ā€¦

Do things properly !!! Live a decent lifeā€¦ or whateverā€¦

1 Like

Exactly. What belongs to God,if you believe in God, is you. Physically and mentally so use your body for good only. Not easy sometimes though.

We are only human. If we do our bestā€¦ who could, rightfully, ask for moreā€¦ :hugs:

1 Like

Confession time, eh? :roll_eyes: Some of us are give-aways, Teresa :smiley: Your name hints at Rome.

Iā€™m a lapsed Buddhist, who practised in the Tibetan Dzogchen/mahamudra tradition for 30+ years and practised as a chaplain for 20. We have a lot in common, Tibetan Buddhism is richly endowed with demigods, archetypes, incantations, prostrations, chanting, rich iconography, bells, whistles, amulets, beads, robes and regalia. All good stuff if taken not-entirely- seriously but seriously enough in the paradigm of incarnate experience, like Catholicism in a way, or the Russian Orthodox Church.

I have lots of Buddhist stuff around the house, some of it ancient and possibly of great value. Iā€™m a trustee of the Middle Way Society that might interest you. Itā€™s not Buddhist, but philosophical and remarkably practical and grounded in neuroscience. You could Google it or visit www.middlewaysociety.org if interested.

2 Likes

And can we improve on our best, or do we rest on our laurels? What leads me to believe that I am the best judge of what is my best, when experience shows me clearly that I often fail to meet my own standards? :thinking::zipper_mouth_face::hushed:

Stop it Peterā€¦ :woozy_face: Absolutely no use beating ourselves up over any shortcomings (imagined or otherwise)ā€¦ Best motto in the worldā€¦ Do Your Bestā€¦

You/I know that when we have fallen shortā€¦ sometimes real/sometimes imaginedā€¦ we have to rise above, take a deep breath and carry on livingā€¦

I bet youā€™re really ticklish, Stella. What with your ā€œStop it Peter!ā€ :joy::innocent::zipper_mouth_face:

Absolutely no offence intended and apologies to your OH, but you just touched my funny-bone with that sharp Benny Hill order! :smiley:

I was grinning, as I typed thatā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe, but assaulting them is not the right way to go about it.

Policing should be by consent, which is not the stated aim of the gendarmerie, which is to control the civil population.

Absolutely.

It took World War 1 to give the vote to property owning women over 30.

What a shame that JRM with his six children and other religions which prohibit birth control donā€™t do the same.

Over population is a prime cause of our problems on earth and we are still afraid of upsetting the sensibilities of male led religions!

1 Like

Donā€™t forget that the Romans were invaders.

Every human population outside of Africa has its origin in an invading group, frequently several over time.

The Romans were the ā€œlaw of the landā€ at that timeā€¦ so the advice was still goodā€¦ :upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face::wink:

And ā€¦1975 ā€“ Sex Discrimination Act
Until this act, banks could refuse to give women mortgages without a male guarantor. And they carrier on trying (to refuse) for a lot longerā€¦

I remember when my mum as widow had to take legal advice about her mortgage, only a very small when we moved house.
She was furious, as it was her own house she was selling.

1 Like

Can imagine her rage! I can feel that kind of fury, from attempting house deals. I found an ace solicitor, she got as angry as her customers and threatened to sue when there were probs of that kind.