Eye test and glasses

I am myopic + astigmatic in one eye and amblyopic in the other, and doubtless presbytia is just around the corner for both ie my eyes are rubbish each in its own quaint way.
I go to my ophtalmologiste about every 18 months, he checks my vision, eyeball pressure and has a look inside my eyeball as well and then if the prescription has changed I get my specs from Les Opticiens Mutualistes.
My all-singing all-dancing supersnazzy lenses are free every 2 years or sooner if they have changed, frames are all prices from under 20€ to stratospheric.

@toryroo I wore ready read glasses for years without any problems, but I would suggest seeing a ophtalmo just to rule out any other problems.

1 Like

Ditto cataracts, removed now :clap: but last test revealed a problem which has prompted a RDV with a cardio! Very rigorous testing in France :+1:

1 Like

Not exactly in line with this thread but didn’t want to start a new subject.

Who likes reading glasses? I can’t find mine, or I’m sitting on them, and they generally get in the way. Extended reading periods on my Kindle works for me as the font size can be adjusted to suit.

But quite often fine print elsewhere needs to be read, and without reading glasses that becomes a nuisance. So too manicuring my nails!

My baseball cap is almost as permanently in place as my beard and only comes off at bedtime. The peak helps to reduce glare, and glare is bothersome to me. I also have a micro-central-vision problem in my left eye which means I cannot see the print in the middle of the page.

I found a type of folding ‘monocle’ which is specifically designed to clip to the peak of a baseball cap. It can be clipped in place for either eye.

You fold down the lens whenever needed and I find this works well for me, for serial numbers, reading what’s on the smartphone without holding it at arm’s length, small print in the supermarket, and I can read a paperback as well.

And it looks to be a quality product, but only available from Amazon USA. I paid in total 56.84 euros. (Please don’t tell me I could have bought it elsewhere & cheaper!)

I shall trim the beard now and go get a new baseball cap!

1 Like

Funnily enough, a friend and I were talking about this sort of thing last week and were wondering whether lorgnettes wer still available… Of course there is always the standard old folks method of having reading glasses on a chain around your neck but my friend flatly refused to consider it (even though she is rather older that she appears!)

1 Like

This is fun

Of course, there is no guarantee it will arrive chez vous. Nor that it will help you to read :grin:

2 Likes

I considered something like that which I would have to wear permanently around my neck tucked behind a tee-shirt so that I could have access to it at all times. Very suitable though for those who are more discipled than I. I’d be constantly looking for it if it weren’t attached to me.

Decided against it because the lens would be difficult to keep clean dangling against my chest and because, like reading glasses dangling against my tee shirt, it would get crushed whenever I pressed against such things as a car or tall bookcase while reaching up to get something.

If I had however decided for something like that it’d be the male version of this - Magnifying Glass Necklace. Silver Tones. - Etsy.de

Would love to see people leaning forward towards display shelves in the supermarket, peering, with lorgnettes to their eyes!

2 Likes

My mum had a birdwatcher’s monocular for art exhibitions so she could look at detail of paintings.

Bit like this.

1 Like

1 Like

Very useful thread. How do I bookmark it for future use. I quickly checked the user guide but couldn’t find anything about bookmarks

1 Like

At the bottom of the thread (just below this comment!) is a set of buttons which includes “bookmark”.

The above is a screen capture, if you click on it it won’t do anything! :grinning: :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks Chris. Hopefully I’ll have the use of a PC soon where so many software options are clearer than on a Smart phone.

1 Like