Faux Pas, what's yours?

It’s actually a known fact that the French find it difficult to pronounce the word squirrel, I have some great fun with that word lol lol :joy:

Which word Anne, lol lol??

Like Anglophones and the word bouilloire, I am told.
Squirrel in German is nice: Eichhörnchen.

Two lusciously different renderings of the germanic “ch” in one word, as distinct as the red and grey squirrel, but each as tasty as the other.

Squirrel ? :joy::joy::joy::joy::black_flag: 󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿:black_flag: 󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿:black_flag: 󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿:black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Omg now I gonna be nice to the french as I can’t say it in German :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Looking for a restaurant in which to eat one Sunday evening, we asked the hotel receptionist for a recommendation…
“Restaurant Donkeyshite” was his eager reply… continuing with the instructions on how to dinf it.
Not sure what we would find we eventually turned the corner and found a lovely Spanish restaurant “Don Quixote”… Relief all round :rofl:
Well, I remain convinced to this day that’s what it sounded like…

1 Like

Does Graham, B’ is a “donkyshite” collector.
Sorry, Don Quixote memorabilia collector, :rofl:

I will always remember with a smile the time our French friends asked my dad if he’d had enough to eat. “Oui .” He said in his cockney accented French . “Je suis plein” . Slang apparently for “I’m pregnant “!
We all fell about laughing :joy:

2 Likes

Hi Vanessa and welcome to the Forum…

:rofl: It is important to be able to laugh at ourselves, isn’t it… everyone makes mistakes, but laughter makes friends… :relaxed:

Done that one V’ :grin:

Stella, I Have made the same mistake as you,asking when the baby was due to a new mum of a 3month old baby,we were both embarassed as Iknew she had been pregnant but forgot exactly the date as we ran ran a busy cafe/brasserie and she wasn’t a regular
Also the Don Quixote reference reminds me of when my brother inlaw spent half an hour talking to my husband,and I kept hearing “Donkey shot”,I really was intrigued thinking who shot the donkey!!
When I was introducing my husband to my cousins in the Black country ,when his English(like my French was somewhat lacking)he told them that he like to go “crapping” in the garden,in fact he was trying to translate" crapahuter"Of course they took to him straight away after that!!
Fast forward 30 years and last week a friend phoned and said hr husband had been scratched,I was intrigued why she was telling me (as I hadn’t he

heard from her for a while,so I was trying to figure out if she wanted advice on what to put on it(I was a nurse in a former life) In actual fact her husband had had a kidney transplant I had mistaken greffer for griffer(I even asked if the cat had done it)

3 Likes