Favourite films

Bridget Jones’ Diary (all time favourite, seen it a million times)
Titanic (sob-fest)
The Money Pit (early Tom Hanks film, still laugh till I cry at this one)
Schindler’s List (everyone should be made to watch this, horrifying that it actually happened)
Bend It Like Beckham (glorious feel good film)
Four Weddings and a Funeral (adore Hugh Grant)
Buster (love the music)
The Truman Show (Jim Carey before he was really weird)
Dirty Dancing (“nobody puts Baby in a corner”)
Apollo 13 (“Houston , we’ve had a problem”)

2 Likes

Very difficult to narrow it down but I have long had a Desert Island Films list…more than 10 though…

Kind Hearts & Coronets
The Lavender Hill Mob
The Ladykillers
Rear Window
The Glen Miller Story
Breakfast at Tiffany’s
The Thirty-Nine Steps (both versions)
The Dam Busters
Bridge over the River Kwai
On the Waterfront
Some like it Hot
African Queen
Adam’s Rib
Moby Dick (Gregory Peck)
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Great Escape
Papillon
The Green Mile
Shawshank Redemption
Carve Her Name with Pride
Dial M for Murder
The Birds
The Magnificent Seven
Cabaret
Whistle Down the Wind
In Search of the Castaways
The Godfather
Les Liaisons Dangereuse
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Quartet

and most recently seen on TV “Suite Francaise”…Atmospheric with an almost documentary feel and moving…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAa4BWHZZ5s Great film, faultless.

1 Like

How could I have missed off the list…?
Doctor Zhivago,
The Dirty Dozen
All the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns
The Inn of the 6th Happiness
The Maltese Falcon
Casablanca
Caine Mutiny…anything with Bogart in…
School for Scoundrels (Ian Carmichael)
Bonnie & Clyde
Goodbye Mr Chips (Peter O’Toole)
Dr Strangelove
One flew over the Cuckoos Nest
Mars Attacks !
The Two Way Stretch
Spartacus
Taras Bulba
Where Eagles Dare
The Longest Day
Rebecca
Black Narcissus
High Noon
Spiral Staircase (terrified my as a kid and still does a bit today)
THE THIRD MAN …one of the best films of all time…love the theme tune…

2 Likes

The Searchers
High Noon
The Seventh Seal
Weekend
The Graduate
Midnight Cowboy
Get Carter (The original)
Don’t Look Back
Performance

To keep the list manageable.

Can’t put films I like into a category, because films of so many different kinds, satisfy me. It’s my gut reaction that I rely on to tell me what films I like. Not my intellect. Once I’ve compiled a list (a long list in the making) I can start to categorise them, but for now….

Romance – ‘You’ve got Mail’ Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

Comedy/Drama – ‘Kind Hearts and Coronets’ Just love Joan Greenwood’s portrayal of Sibella, a scheming temptress.

Action and Violence - ‘Sin City’ Bruce Willis.

Cartoons – started very young, from Goofy, Bugs Bunny, Mister Magoo, Tweetie Pie to The Lion King, and more.

Fantasy - ‘Artificial Intelligence.’

2 Likes

Some brilliant films listed here. I’d just like to give a shout out to a few:

The Full Monty - brilliant British film, very much of its time.
Erin Brockovich - Julia Roberts was amazing in this film, won an Oscar I believe.
Harry Potter films - the earlier ones before it all got too dark and complicated!!
Life on the Road - absolutely love anything Ricky Gervais does, music was great too.
Fame - great music, great story. Another film that won an Oscar or two.
Four Weddings and a Funeral - Hugh Grant, who is still gorgeous. I can watch him in anything.
Philadelphia - another film of its time. I’ve seen it several times but it still makes me cry. Tom Hanks, probably my favourite American actor.
Izzy x

3 Likes

I watched the first Top Gun film last night and wished I hadn’t, not a patch on Maverick.

For reasons I can’t fathom I loathe and detest Tom Cruise. I can’t watch anything he is in. Totally irrational I know.
Izzy x

1 Like

He’s never going to an Oscar but I’m happy to watch most of his films except Mission Impossible, I loved the tv series with Peter Graves so it doesn’t seem right.

1 Like

But only the original, not the remake. Why do they do that? Especially when the original was excellent and hard to improve on.

2 Likes

Of course, we’re all different and can be more attached to certain actors/actresses…
I was absolutely aghast/horrified when Pride and Prejudice was to be rehashed… :wink:
I’d thoroughly enjoyed the original and Colin Firth meant nothing to me…
but… of course… I finally did get to see the “rehash” and thoroughly enjoyed it… :+1: :wink: :rofl:

Me too - so that’s two of us who are irrational. I did watch him in Jerry Maguire, despite him, not because. And I also I watched Minority Report - same thing.

1 Like

Incidentally… thanks everyone for reviving this…
It’s reminded me of some dvd’s which are lurking in the depths…
with the daytime heat, sitting in a cool 25c house… watching dvd’s, while the world boils outside… seems the best option…

I don’t mind him as an actor - but for reasons that I can fathom all too easily I don’t think we’d get on if we ever met (snowball in hell chance of that though :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

Oh absolutely. The TV series was OK but not the same, less gritty!
Izzy x

1 Like

The first and last thing I watched with him in it was Cocktail. Eww!!! And he’s a Scientologist, 'nuff said!!!
Izzy x

Face off
Django
The greatest showman
Shutter Island
A star is born (with Ga Ga) who by the way i watched live in London last week and she was phenomenal, a true performer

Funny movies

The other guys
Eurovision
Wrongfully accused
Haunted house
Anything with the wonderful Ryan Reynolds, i love him :heart:

As you can see my choice of films are diverse but it wouldnt be right if we all liked the same thing.

Last night I watched an old favourite film on Channel 4 – The Apartment.

It’s been a long time since I saw it last, and saw it this time through more sober eyes. I’m surprised Channel 4 described it as a comedy.

I saw it as a drama about a nasty side of human behaviour which ended happily. The story line, the script, the direction and the acting were excellent. Couldn’t fault it – clearly a classic film, which is 62 years old – and Timeless!

2 Likes

Terry Gilliams Brazil.
David Mamets Glengarry Glen Ross.

French film is one of mine, Wages of Fear. Westerns such as High Noon and all the Clint Eastwood films. also Once Upon a Time in the West.
As a young boy in the '50’s I was fascinated by 20,000 Leagues under the Sea. I went to the local cinema 3 nights on the trot to watch it. Many others as well so no absolute out and out favourite.

2 Likes