Feral Cat Deterrent

What worked for me was citronelle. You just need to put some of the oil into a spray bottle with water and spray the area the cat is marking. I guess if it’s a large area then maybe you would need one of the bigger spray thingies that are used for weed killer. Smells nice too!
Izzy x

2 Likes

Saw this and it reminded me of this thread:

It may be possible to use an ultrasonic device to deter cats which emits frequencies above the range dogs are able to hear, or hear sufficiently attenuated so as not to disturb them.
https://www.lsu.edu/deafness/HearingRange.html

This suggests that ultrasonic only a solution for a small specific area

1 Like

Yes I suspect citronella/other citrus or a water spray device on a timer is better.

1 Like

@SuePJ

Yup, we have a serious cat chaser who patrols our terrain assiduously during the day, but unfortunately believes it’s ok to curl up and sleep at night.

Do your dogs bark when they see cats in the daytime? If so, how about recording it and playing it back at night? If not, perhaps a recording of Jules in full pursuit with his mixture of barking and howling. :thinking:

Technically difficult, if not impossible, to get it right though, and he might even upset your dogs too. :neutral_face:

We do get cats in the garden though, despite the fact that they know he is not friendly but we don’t have your marking problem. He can detect them from inside the shuttered house in the morning, but he starts his howling before I can open up so they have plenty of warning to make themselves scarce. Quite the opposite from our first dog here, Lira the gentle Greyhound. Gentle to all but cats that is, silently she caught and killed one in the garden and we never had them in it again till she died. but they used to taunt her from a distance outside the fence.

1 Like

Each to their own… ours are not the Contech ones, nor the Primrose ones which are currently on offer.

Sited in 4 different spots, to cover as much of the area/access as possible, we found ours work very well.
The sensitivity and frequency are variable/changeable, so perhaps that is what was lacking with the ones shown in the video… who knows.
We seem to have got ours regulated just right… thank heavens.

EDIT: Incidentally, I note that the Primrose ones offer a 60-day refund if not working… ours (not Primrose) worked after just 2 weeks (much to our relief).
Anyone still bothered with cats in just under the 60-days could and presumably would send 'em back for a refund.
and… a dog owner might well give such a product the thumbs down…

Thanks for the thought David. :roll_eyes:
Having woken at 3am this morning to the sound of one of our neighbour’s dogs in full cry I think I’ll give that one a miss!

And thanks all others for the suggestions.

I think the citronella / citrus route is the one to try.

2 Likes

I did read somewhere that there is a new plant that gives off a scent cats hate.

er…some people would quietly remove any deposits and return them to the home they came from

I’ve heard the recommended technique is to wrap it in newspaper and place it on the doorstep of the owner. Set light to newspaper and then ring the door bell and leave. On coming to the door, the owner will try to stamp out the flames.

3 Likes

Personally, I want the dog to stop “doing it”… on my doorstep… and am now preparing a battle plan… :wink:

Clearly you grew up in a rougher place than me :slight_smile:
If everyone returmed the deposits received I’d give it a week till mutt is safely under control.
Lighting it…hmmm fun but probably against French open fire restrictions.

I’d look into law to see if owner is responsible for dog"s actions, as in the UK, get an ‘aide domicile’(cost deducted off income for tax)
to collect and return the deposit with video evidence and the facture for services, to the owner. Each time until they get sick of it.

In UK owner is fully responsible for the actilms pf their dog but not for cats. Not sure about F though but hopefully so.

1 Like

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/solve-problems/how-to-deter-cats-from-your-garden/

1 Like

Sarf east Lundun, luv. :wink:

I can tell you that it wasn’t gold the streets were paved with. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Talking about dog ownership with my mother (who loves dogs) there was none of this walking nonsense - a dog went out of the front door in the morning and came back when it was hungry. I’m sure that’s not how it works any more, but it was still true when I was a kid, and both dogs and children ran around the streets in packs.

2 Likes

my childhood was like that too…
so now I’m wondering just how many infuriated householders had to wipe the poo off their shoes, after our dog had left them a little present ?? !!

I know that our Nick led his pals down the middle of the High Street and Mum was phoned urgently and asked to “get him under control”… 'cos traffic was at a standstill…
That was in Felixstowe so I’d have been 11 at the time… :rofl: :wink: we kids thought it was a hoot… not sure the adults saw it in quite the same light.
We moved away a few months later… with Nick in tow…

1 Like

I think we all looked at where we put our feet then, although it’s much easier to spot on a pavement than in grass.

I know of dog owners who reckon their pet is trained to “poop” in a certain spot and thus not poop when out and about (obviously, anyone can get caught short)… but I’m wondering how hard this training would be and whether I might suggest it to the owner of the brute who delights in choosing my doorway for his present…

Our dog knows full well he can’t do anything until past thevillage sign.

1 Like

Nice one, but is that going into the village… or going out??

3 Likes