Fibre optic - can't connect my computer when another is connected

I cheated a bit https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-setup-openvpn-server-on-ubuntu-linux-14-04-or-16-04-lts/

2 Likes

I am quite enjoying this thread………just saying!

2 Likes

My son has his laptop connected this evening, and again I’m having terrible connection issues this evening from my desktop (it’s been fine all day while he was at school). I’ve logged into the admin of the live box, and I can see we’re assigned different IP’s. I’ve tried connecting on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, but eventually the internet stops working, I get the DNS errors appearing, and have to reconnect, but I usually only get a matter of seconds or a few minutes before the problems start again, or reduces to the speed of dial-up.

Incidentally, the Orange live box fibre is in the room next to me, but there is a stone wall between us. I get 2 bars out of 4 on the signal strength, so it’s not so bad in terms of signal strength.

We finished up drilling a hole through the wall and plugging OH’s network cable directly into the back of the live box.

This certainly is intriguing. I take it you were in the same room earlier today, before your son started using his PC, too? If I’ve understood correctly, the only thing that has changed is your son returning home and starting using his computer, right?

Check on your son’s computer how much internet traffic is being generated.

1 Like

That was my thought too - sounds like some massive pinging going on there. Cryptomining software ? Gaming channel ?

Thanks for the replies. I checked his computer, and in the past 30 days he’s used 160gig (I’ve used 1.6gig), which is 5.3gig a day. Seems like quite a bit. He does do a lot of minecraft online. Not sure if that’s a factor or not, although it doesn’t seem to impact my wife’s phone or my daughter’s tablet.

Not that much - a shade over 0.1% of the total bandwidth of a 500Mb/s fibre connection - though if it is very bursty it might cause problems.

Let’s start with the output from “ipconfig /all” on your PC when your son’s is not connected, when it is and the result on his PC for comparison.

Thanks Billybutcher. Is there anything sensitive in the IPCONFIG file - I can share a screenshot, but wanted to check first, or is there any specific information from the output that might be useful?

There shouldn’t be - any IP addresses should be the ones on you local network, which can’t be reached from the internet.