Finally does the right thing

I was in no way defending Tory MP’s per se. Nor am I defending the indefensible.
I said an experienced debater and given his chairmanship of a Parliamentary Select Committee on a subject about which he has without doubt some experience (he is a Farmer), it is perfectly conceivable that he has an above average skill level in that area. He was an MEP before he entered the HoC as an MP.
Professor tim also has an interesting perspective…

Is the next crisis on the horizon for this County? A neighbouring MP, Geoffrey Cox (he Rumpole of the Commons fame) who spent a considerable amount of time in the Virgin Islands advising his client, the PM of the Virgin Islands, whilst drawing his not inconsiderable fees and Parliamentary privileges, his Client has now been charged with serious offences (drug running and money laundering to name but two) which should also alarm his electorate…

1 Like

On first glance I laughed at this - but on reflection it tells a different story - not of ‘Tory Sleaze’, but of the way all the lies and corruption come across to most people not as problems linked with one kind of politics - which puts private gain above public service, and indeed the law - but as characteristic of all politicians - the ‘they’re all at it’ view.

that TV table is exactly the same as we have :slightly_smiling_face:

However this is what the Tories want - to muddy the waters so that people do think “they’re all as bad as each other” and to not vote at all.

1 Like

Yes - exactly - and in the interests of ‘balance’ the UK mass media makes itself complicit with the Tory message - for example mentioning minor infringements by other parties alongside the tide of government sleaze, giving the false impression of equivalence (just as they did for years on climate/ecological breakdown, as well as trivialising it, as they are still).

1 Like

They did this with Brexit as well - the problem of false balance in contemprary media is well recognised.

Sleaze doesn’t cut it though - this government is systematically dishonest, corrupt, criminal and actively engaged in dismantling democracy under cover of the complicit right wing press.

2 Likes

My wife literally just came in and put the tele on to the BBC News Channel - the subtitle on the broadcast now is ‘Westminster Sleaze Allegations’ - not ‘Tory Sleaze’ - and are they just ‘allegations’?

But - WOW! - now a feature has come on actually examining the real story of Zelensky - covering for example his links with oligarchs and western right-wing individuals and institutions - some of it pretty much in line with the interview I linked recently in another thread…

I didn’t read all of the article that you linked, it was pretty long a bit on the dense side for a late evening read and I don’t know enough about Ukranian political history to know how accurate it is.

But, even if we assume all in the article is true, does it excuse Putin’s invasion of Ukraine?

Beware ebay, too. I went looking for ‘overalls’. Crikey! A whole gay subculture! And dirty ones - all sweated up, stained :scream: cost more than BNWT !

And as for men’s underwear - :roll_eyes:

No - of course not. But I hate the view that if one side of a conflict has done something very wrong, we have to sweep the other side’s wrongdoing under the carpet. Nothing excuses the Russian invasion - but a full understanding of what gave rise to it can help to end the harm it is perpetrating.

1 Like

spoilt for choice as to where to post this gem… but this topic is as good as any for relevance…

an analysis of what may lie in store for the Tories in the forthcoming by election for Parish’s seat along with the red wall one vacated by another disgraced Tory…

Doesn’t bode well for them, does it…