Finally moving in the New Year

The bar mentioned in Alaigne was a great business and I know someone who helped run it. The guy has been seriously ill and they cannot continue. Lovely part of the world, short winters!, south of Carcassonne. If you need any further information, let me know but know it catered for the Brits, did fish and chip nights but a lot of French loved it too so fully integrated and lovely people own it now and really don't want to leave but have to.

I have lived here for nearly 11 years now but did have a blip 5 years ago and went back to the UK to be near elderly parents - only lasted 18 months - too many people, too much stress, too much pressure etc so back here for life I hope! A previous comment said winters were long and hard - that really depends where you buy. I live in Aude 11 south of Carcassonne (great airport to UK) and winters are short here. Only just put electric heater on here for an hour at night, sitting in sunshine during the day with just a cardigan - October, November and sometimes December a lot of sun so can have an outdoor life then. January/February are cold - but sometimes great sun also and March/April we tend to get our rain but after that wall to wall sun usually (some storms at night) so don't be put off about that. I also have got involved in animal rescue and now have stray cat on the landing! but I liaise with the French society locally and also help fundraise for Twilight Retirement home for dogs in Dordogne. Loads of things to join in with here - voga, walking groups, zimba etc so if you join in, you will meet all nationalities. Don't worry about bad French - they put up with mine and cheery bonjour usually opens them up anyway. Good luck and go for it!

PS should say I am single but never had a problem here and been fully accepted - it is really up to you

One quick addition that might encourage you, Both of us had lived abroad for work in several countries before, although my own work did extend slightly into France. Our expectations were in part based on these experiences that although differed from country to country, had given us an insight into the expatriate communities abroad. We decided to bring my mother-in-law with us, of course giving her the option of remaining in the UK, who had already lived with us for a few years. She had travelled far and wide over the years but the thought of actually "living" in another country she had a great deal of concerns, especially in view of her age. We did our best to reassure her, but she was very wary but keen to stay with us, no matter what. At 93, she had fairly good health and certainly mentally very alert - since she has been here she constantly says that we were right to make the move. she has enjoyed doctor visits to the house (not for anything serious) and also been in hospital for a week for generalised tests to ascertain her exact medical state. - the menu alone was superb,she enjoyed duck, beef and veal let alone the desserts! All is well apart from a few minor issues that they said should have been diagnosed before now - she has believed to have had asthma for years but actually has a slight heart condition that affects her breathing and needs oxgygen once a day not inhalers, and she has gout, causing swollen feet and legs - now back to normal size - doctors in the Uk said the swollen limbs were "old age"!!! she was brought home by ambulance all at no charge, a lovely private room ensuite with TV and telephone to keep in touch with us and company in the lounge and dining room. Basically, if she enjoys her new French life this is a wonderful example to anyone considering a move here.

The right town/village is key. We looked in four different regions, the primordial factor being that we wanted a town centre property where we could walk to shops, restaurants, bank etc and also have a garden big enough for the dogs. Turned out not to be an easy task, but we finally got there. If you're ever in our area and want to stop by for a drink or need any advice when you arrive, my email is admin@sotogrande.us

P.S. alcohol is about 40% cheaper in Spain, so it's worth driving to the border once in a while and filling up your car with cases of wine!

Edouard, thank you so much for your replay. I'm so glad that everything has worked out for you and your partner. Like you, my partner and I have no unrealistic expectations ... we just have each other and a spirit of adventure. I'm guessing that picking the right village to settle in is the most essential thing, and It's nice to know that the rural areas are receptive to gay couples too.

Gary

Hi, Gary

My partner and I (+ 3 dogs) moved from Southern Spain to South-West France last year. We're about an hour and 20 minutes from Narbonne. We absolutely love it.

But what we do see a bit here (and saw a lot in Spain) were expats who arrived with entirely unrealistic expectations. Some people move thinking they're going to buy a chateau or 200 year old farmhouse and transform it into a hugely successful business and then just sail through life- and they're going to do all of this on a shoestring budget, while having completely free days where they'll relax in the sun, gin and tonics in hand :) Not gonna happen.

That being said, if you know what you want and budget properly, things can go very well. We chose a period Palladian property in the centre of a little town called Mazamet. The town has everything one needs, but keep in mind rural France is very 'rural', you won't get sushi unless you drive to a larger city. Everything is closed on Mondays. Restaurants tend to keep strict hours and close early. Big old houses require big upkeep, no matter where they are.

Other than that I'd just say we've found the experience amazing. As a gay couple we weren't sure what sort of reception we'd get, and the fact is people could not have been more welcoming and helpful. There's some bureaucracy but not as complicated as people imply if you can speak the language.

Regards & good luck,

E.

On my way back from chateau Gramazie....a truly secret location.

Always choose to be somewhere where you can be found and not totally

isolated....

It is good to have tranquillity....but.

A bar is not such a bright idea.

If you want to talk about catering and similar...

talk to me...if you wish.

Hi Gary, I'm a vetran now, coming on 16 years here. Arrived aged 20 and pregnant and had many ups and downs. It's not always easy but I guess life is what you make it. After a nasty divorce from British husband 10 years ago and later a split from my conjoint of 4 years (with a child involved) I'm still here and now remarried to a Frenchman. It's certainly not a fairytale, financially it's hard for us but it could be worse.

2 main points before you arrive - to be legally resident here you will need healthcare coverage - as you are under retirement age the UK won't supply an S1 so either 100% insurance or entering the system via work (either as employee or self employed). Getting work is very hard here though. Secondly you need to prove a min income to support your household (so to prove you will not be a burden to the French state).

I would strongly advise renting until you are sure of the area you want to live.

Good Luck

Ha ha the internet matches the pace of life then.. Cheers Mandy

Hi again Gary, not sure about satellite internet, I've heard good and bad about that. It can also be very expensive. We just have a very slow Orange connection and lots of patience! Enjoy your visit.

Wow Juliet you're braver than me ... yet, inspiring. thank you so much for your comments.

Thank you for that Dave, even more food for thought. I imagine that once you are happy with the surroundings where you rent you'd probably end up buying in the area. I guess there now may be a couple of visits to find an area to rent in. Thanks again - it's gonna be fun.

Hello, I moved here to Lot-et-Garonne 8 years ago on my own with three horses and two dogs, knowing no-one and only having a basic knowledge of french. However the previous owners, english but had lived in France for many years, pointed me in the right direction and through the forums I found other english horse and dog owners and gradually this extended into french people as well. I was probably foolish rather than brave to do the move in the first place, and fortunately enough money saved up, but not one day have a regretted my decision and I have no intention of moving until I physically cannot cope with the property I own. And then I will stay locally here in France. I love it. But my advice would be firstly to not even contemplate a move without financial security, choose your preferred area, then rent for a while whilst you look at different properties. Some seem ideal but then neighbours turn out to be a problem, other houses are lovely, full of character, but need so much time and money spending on them they become a mental and monetary drain, some villages aren't so welcoming to strangers as others, etc. so just be careful. French bureaucracy is a nightmare, but the same for both french and english, and utmost patience is required. BUT IT IS WORTH IT. Best of luck.

Hi Gary

We live between Beziers and Narbonne and have been here full time for 4 years now. I concur with other SFNers who say working is difficult. I started teaching English as an Auto-entrepreneur to get in the health system I earnt the princely sum of 245 euros in 6 months but got my Catre Vitale. I found doing nothing the hardest, my wife disagrees and says I am a past master at doing nothing!

After a year I joined a large Estate Agency as my French was not too bad and still work for them - keeps me off the streets and the Pastis. My wife had no French when she arrived but was congratulated last week by the lady in the local pharmacy for her French. She was contente.

Regarding buying, I have found that people who rent for 6 months tend to buy in the village/community where they are. They have met people and feel at home. Just have a good idea of wht you are looking for in the way of lifestyle, location, weatrher before you come. Your criteria for the bhouse will probably change when you start vieiwng. As no doubt, will your budget.

We thoroughly enjoy ourselves and our life here but have no illusions as with anything life it needs effort to make it work.

Have fun searching.

Dave

Cheers Neil ... will investigate.

Liz you're a gem ... thank you so much for your comments. It would be lovely to make contact when we visit and get your local take on life there. Thank you again.

Thank you Paul. Be Brave not reckless will become our motto for the move and transition. I will definately investigate the points you have made and Amazon for the book from Chambre de Commerce. Thank you.

Melissa - thank you for your comments. lots to think of. We're honestly under no illusion and it will test us at times and at others it'll seem worth all the potential hassle. But despite all the 'intersting' points made on this thread it seems better than slogging away in the UK. But I may be proved wrong - ha ha.

Thank you Barbara ... I guess the choice for us will eventually be when we find the perfect house / location etc

Thank you for that Carol ... food for thought.