I got Madeline’s and coffee and got a wedgie when the nurses had to heave me into a wheelchair to get to the car they pulled so hard on my knickers ![]()
Not a walk in the park for my brother in law, the bunion surgery. It took months to recover from it.
Madeleine’s what?
Are you getting anywhere with this, @Capgrass ?
You don’t say when you’re planning to be here but I thought I would add this. OH went to our dentist yesterday for a check up that included an x-ray. The x-ray machine wasn’t working despite what they tried with it, so he has to have another appointment. The first one they could offer was the very end of November.
From a quick check of Doctolib, a lot of other dentists are the same, although some don’t do online bookings so it’s hard to tell what they might offer without ringing.
My excellent young dentist who’s taken over my now-retired dentist’s practice isn’t treating any new patients and hasn’t got a free slot until December. She won’t see anyone at short notice unless it’s an already registered patient with an emergency.
Go to Poland, they have great dentists and it shouldn’t be difficult to organise as they are happy to treat health tourists.
This is what I got by googling dental services Poland, nb it’s all in English
Edited to add there are no direct flights to Poland from Carcassonne but there are from Toulouse, you can do Toulouse Krakow for about 75€
As I know from looking for appointments what seems to be available online on Doctolib, Keldoc and Maia is not necessarily the case. If you tick the box for wanting that appointment the next screen quite often asks if you are an existing oatient (deja suivi) and if not tells you to phone. When you will be told that they aren’t taking new patients.
Super interesting, did they pin the bent toes to straighten them? Does the pin eventually come out or is it in for good? So fascinating orthopaedic surgery.
Sometimes they leave the pin in for good. Sometimes they remove it.
In my case, they removed it after 12 years because it started trying to get out of its own accord. I could see the pin head just below the skin.
There was quite a difference between the bunion surgery done 12 years ago and the surgery I had on the other foot last year. 12 years ago I found the process of putting the leg to sleep was not painful as in Shiba’s case but uncomfortable. It was like having pins and needles and wanting to shake the leg but not being able to. It took ages.
When the other foot was operated on last year, though, the anaesthesia kicked in much more quickly. There was no pain or discomfort, either during or after the operation.
Pins are permanent and I have a little plate on one foot where he had to shave the bone right back as both were at 45° angles pre-surgery so very ugly feet I never showed in public but now I can. The second and third toes on both feet had gone out of line and were painful.
I had to have a top up of funny juice as I have a very low pain threshold and it began to wear off. The surgeon was the spitting of Mark Owen from Take That and small as well and made sure we had some pop music to listen to
Did you have to wear special shoes for a bit? A friend of mine had what sounds like exactly the same thing done about 2 months ago and she has to wear special black zip-up trainer-alike shoes she absolutely hates ![]()
the second toe which has had a screw put in it has taken much much longer than the big toe joint.
Oh yes, big fat platform soled velcro strap shoes that opened out and then you closed the straps. When I went to get them from the medical aid supplies shop up the road they only gave me one so had to go back and get another as I had two weeks between both ops and could not put ordinary shoes on for a bit until all the stitches had been removed at the clinic . I got an hour two mornings per week with the kiné straight away to get me to stand on tip top, walk fast, jump etc and could not drive until he was satisfied I could press the pedals and then he stopped the sessions. Lovely to have my feet massaged spread across his lap on my sofa, he was young too! Actually the shoes kept people at arms length from stepping on me in the supermarket
Oooh I wonder what would be the best way to get a reliable recommendation for a good dentist within reach of Krakow.
There was one in Krakow on the page I screenshot, I’ve heard nothing but good things about Polish medicine in general and dentistry in particular.
Turkey teeth are a thing, too.
I’ll always book any medical or dental service by recommendation only I’m afraid - learned that one when young by not doing
.As I’ve a lot of work due and am a paranoid nitpicker that’s quite happy to travel to a recommended person, if anyone does know a good dentist anywhere ideally not costing the earth I’m always interested to hear. Realistically I am hoping I can last till next year but then suspect will need quite a few bits doing
Not so much a single good dentist, but I have been impressed with the service I’ve had from Caen university Hospital Dental School. so might be worth seeing if similar near you. I’ve had 7 appointments over last 3 months to sort out some fiddly problems. And they want to do 6 month checks from now on (my pathology makes dental infections a big risk).
It is 4th year students who work on you, and they are very closely supervised. So appointments take a long time as at each step the Professor has to come check. My students were hugely conscientious, without being too timid, and were happy to explain exactly what they were doing all the time.
So all in all it was a far better experience than a rushed 20 minute appointment with an overworked fully qualified dentist.
Not sure how easy it is to get on their list as I was dumped on them as a priority by my specialist.
Please don’t wait. Leaving dental problems only makes the likely outcome more serious and can be bad for the heart.
I know Sue, but I’m stuck till then pretty much.
