Fitting in with other parents

Hi

Not being funny but...can you please reply on this page rather than by PM as if everyone did that on SFN, there would be nothing for anyone to read! And no helpful advice to be had!

Thanks

Catharine

Thanks everyone, that's all really useful!

Keep 'em coming! :) xx

Am not sure what you mean by "being accepted" but if you mean having the chit-chat whilst waiting for your kid(s) to emerge from the school building, being asked to help with the school activities etc. There's only one rule don't wait for being invited.

For me it was also a bit difficult the first year and the contact was restricted to the obligatory bonjours et bonsoirs, but it wasn't long before my kid was invited to birthday parties and normally you hang around a bit, talk to the parents when bringing your kid and do the same often with a cup of coffee when come to pick them up again. We are fortunate enough to have a little playground and a small shaded park next to the school so after school we often go there to have the "gouter" and at these occasions the contact comes naturally. Also volunteering for school activities (trips, swimming lessons etc.) isn't a bad way either. Now our third kid is going to be in the same school as his 2 sisters, I've become a member of the "parent-èlêve" committee and am now in the position of being very well accepted in the inner school circles :-)

But don't wait for those parents to come to you, that's 90% of the effort you need to put in it.

I think the age thing comes in where ever you are - I was friends with my kids' friends' papis (cycling mates) rather than their papas ! and friends with some mamans but you need to be careful... :-O

I think it is different, my kids have been at the same school for nearly 6 years and although the kids have loads of friends, I have found it very difficult to be accepted despite speaking French, although many of them didn't realise that for a while as I always speak to the kids in English. However, my husband seems to relate to them much easier. Having said that, it might well be the same for me in the UK - eg, I am rarely at the school gate due to work, I'm much older than them and I am always in a hurry :-)

not really any different to the UK - you just talk to them (in French, of course). Having said that, my kids and OH are French and only speak French so it would be an issue for us if we ever moved to the UK or elswhere...!