Fitting new joists to a stone wall using ledger plates

Hello Aidan, on the advice of my charpentier I fixed the ledger plates to the wall at 1 meter intervals. I wanted to hide all the hardware when the floor was complete so I drilled the holes in the ledger plates behind where each second joist would sit (joists are on 50 cm centres). I used 16mm threaded bar which I sunk 40 cm into the wall, to attach the plates to the wall. Also because I wanted hidden hardware, I used ledger strips to support the joists instead of joist hangars as James did in his project.

Do you have a photo of this, I have an area I’d also like to have hidden strips on?

Hi Martin, yes your barn would present a much bigger challenge than mine did! I was underestimating the size of the gaps I was dealing with but I don’t think I had anything over about 40mm to fill…

James seems to be the guru on this stuff, I’m sure he will jump in and offer some advice. Good luck!

Hi Tory, I’m away from home at the moment and don’t have access to my photos, but will do a drawing for you and try to post it here.

1 Like

Untitled.pdf (19.6 KB)
Hi Tory, here is a drawing of what I did. Concept was thanks to James and this design and lumber dimensions were given to me by my local Point P:
• Joists are on 500mm centers
• Ledger board bolts are on 1000mm centers
• Bolts were 16mm x 400mm
• Ledger strips were attached with 2 x 8mm screws hidden in the notch under each joist
The stabilizing boards were an afterthought which I thought would be more elegant than the Point P recommendation (the Point P design called for long screws to be screwed at an angle through the joists from the top and into the ledger board), and as the stabilizing boards would effectively hide the ledger board bolt heads, you could put the bolts anywhere you wanted to.

Also, Point P were basing their recomendations on 4m long joists using the standard pine beams that they sell. I ended up finding Douglas Fir beams elsewhere at a better price and according to my charpentier, I could have gone with 200 x 75mm beams instead of 220 x 75mm due to the Douglas Fir being stronger.

2 Likes

Thanks Pieter,
Looks like a nice solution!