"Freedom of movement" vs "intégration"

Used enough straw there ?
My dietary choices that have evolved over nearly 40 very healthy years aren’t the topic. Perhaps you should start a new one.
I only use the word “vegan” for convenience. My dietary model for my latter years is based on Okinawa - though with small amounts of seafood replacing the small amount of pork they eat for B12.
I struggle with eating animals I could imagine having as pets. And quite frankly after all these years, poultry and mammalian meat simply aren’t “food”.

1 Like

I don’t think you would keep a wild boar as a pet!
They are a menace and cause terrible damage to crops, gardens and cause traffic accidents.
Like the Forest of Dean on steroids.

1 Like

I admire you’re optimism Jeremy, I presume there are several supermarkets in Telgruc and you’ve got all the other essential services within biking distance - pharmacy, doctor, dentist, hospital, train station etc?

1 Like

Although they are prolific around here… I have only seen a live sanglier once…

We were very late arriving home… with a drizzle/mist making the world close in on us… anyway… rounded a bend gently (thankfully) and saw “something” standing in the road (sideways to us)… silhouetted against the gloom… our headlights touched on the damp on each hair of its skin, which all seemed to be standing upright… (bristles of course)…it looked as if every hair had its own led bulb… and for that brief moment this haloed animal was a wonderful sight…

We stopped and waited… thankfully it did not decide to attack the lights… and went on its way… phew.

We are fortunate with the wildlife around here… I love the idea that it all still exists… but do not really need to have such a close encounter… :hugs:

1 Like

My Google Earth is fully populated with facilities and I have eschewed properties with 15 acres and lakes over the years for lack of facilities. !

Telgruc has a supermarket - and there’s a bigger one a few miles up the road on the GJ roundabout at Tal ar Groas (hopefully they’ll have moved before I get there) then several in Crozon and one in Camaret.
It’s a busy area - 2,000 (?) civilian staff for the Submarine base.
I think I already checked I can get stuff delivered. There’s a ferry to Brest.

Medical emergencies further up the (presqu’ile) is usually an airlift to Brest - otherwise there’s Quimper.
I wil be making note of the defibrilator locations - though living alone they may not be much help - plus I’m more likely to drown attempting long kayak journeys. The hospital in Crozon is really only day and residential geriatric - no ER.

I will run a car for the first few years - I’m buying one next year so I can finish off my UK house.
It isn’t just the expense, I am thankful I haven’t needed one in 10 years in the UK. I taught myself to drive as a motorcyclist - took half an hour in a Reliant 3-wheeler around an industrial estate in 1984, but I fall asleep on long journeys and can’t cope with night driving. As a challenge, perhaps I will take some advanced lessons in France !

My favourite car ever having been the 2CV, I was interested in the VSP - but it seems they’re over-priced - even more than a 2CV - Who knows, 5 years from now a very small electric car may be an option.

At age 59 I cycle 5 miles each way to work in hilly Bristol as I have done for 30 years, and a few years ago was quite into regular 20, 40 and sometimes even 74 (flat) miles on a Sunday (on a mountain bike with road tyres :slight_smile: )
As I said, I will add electrical assistance to that for shopping, but I have to keep up my exercise.

The presqu’ile even has the beginnings of an equivalent of my beloved Bristol to Bath railway path. :slight_smile:
(though a working railway would have been useful - nearest station is now Chateaulin.
And there ARE buses.

1 Like

Well Tim I am well below that but manage to have a ‘reasonable life’ , one cuts ones cloth according to ones needs !

2 Likes

When I lived in the Ardeche, if I got up early in the morning I used to see wild boar, often in little groups, at the edge of the forest. It was a wonderful sight. They were very timid and vanished as soon as they sensed someone was watching them, I never saw them during the day. I realise they cause damage to crops, but how is a wild animal supposed to know that nature belongs to man, not to animals?

6 Likes

Exactly. Us humans cause all of the problems and make the rest of the animal kingdom pay.

3 Likes

Not just that, I truly struggle to understand the attraction of extreme wealth.

On £650 a month in the UK I eat the diet I plan to eat for the rest of my life - I’m currently teaching myself to make vegan crepes and if I have enough land I’ll have a go at growing buckwheat for flour.
Having space and time will allow me to grow gourmet mushrooms for the price of straw and woodchip.
And fishing / peche a pied will keep me busy as well as encourage me to make a little effort in the kitchen.

My weekly £5 bottle of French wine will likely get a quality upgrade when I move to France.

1 Like

No reflection on your choice Jeremy, dietary or otherwise.
I, personally, couldn’t stick to a plant based diet; I tried many years ago, & lasted a year…though I’m almost self supporting in veg etc., also chickens, (eggs/ meat)…strangely though I couldn’t eat any of my geese.
The chap I refer to is a Buddhist, when it suits him; that is to say, when he’s telling me where I & many others are going wrong; & not when he’s driving around the country, ferrying his fellow “navel-contemplating hypocrite acolytes” to another prayer meeting, that will ultimately save us all.
Sorry if it came across differently.

1 Like

They’re not.
They have no natural predators and become nuisances.
They make excellent sausages.

2 Likes

The hunting season has been extended here for the last few years , to my knowledge, exactly because boar are becoming more prolific each year. This is partly due to their habitat being used for houses &/or farming. Some years according to hunters I know, the hunt doesn’t reach its quota.

1 Like

Nah, that’s OK.
Even when I called myself a vegan - 20s and 30s, I would have been embarrassed by the craziness going on today - there’s a massive overlap with parents not vaccinating their children, anti- “big pharma” . chemtrails … flat earth … - with Greenpeace blocking the development of GM Golden Rice.

I know a lot about organic horticulture and that’s my starting point, but it won’t feed the world and the current anti-GM / glyphosate paranoia upsets me greatly.

You will find wine in the box here ( 3 or 5 litres ), lots of choice and not expensive !

1 Like

And because hunters feed them so they are now producing two litters a year…and farmers are gowing more cereals like corn. The population has risen dramatically which is a problem. At lower levels there’s room for us all, but these days I think there are too many. Lots of road accidents, damage to gardens, dogs killed etc etc. Even turned into sausages there are too many to deal with.

I’d heard this but don’t know if it goes on round here.
Further north on the other side of the valley, there appears to be the same problem with “mouflon” (sp), a sort of Goaty-sheep…very tasty though.

Good grief !
I don’t have much of a palate, but if I’m going to nudge into unhealthy levels of drinking, I will do it in style !

1 Like

Jeremy, there is ‘plonk’ and there is AOC and some good quality wines that the producers are proud of. If ever I am visiting a wine region I always go into the ‘caves’ of the local producers. Here you can buy in the box or even take your own container, that way you can ‘bottle the wine’ yourself. Have tasted and bought some excellent wines this way!

4 Likes

Absolutely… love the dégustations (free ones, of course)… OH drives and has to spit it out (mostly)… I am able to sip, gulp and swallow… hic… wonderful

1 Like

Sadly I’ve chosen Brittany as my destination :smiley:

I was spoiled in my teens - first visit was in the Gironde -so good reds every day - visited St Estephe and Mouton-Rothschild.
The second stay was with a family in the Champagne region and I can still taste a blanc de blancs I had in the garden there age 15 - I soon decided never to try any white wine that I could actually afford !