"Freedom of movement" vs "intégration"

Can you get rennet? Or the vegetarian alternative? You can do a quick version with vinegar that’s ok, but not as good.

Basically heat 2litres full fat milk to 95C in steel pan, and then add 60ml cider vinegar. Turn off heat and let it sit for at least 10 minutes. Slice and skim off solid curds, drain in colander lined with muslin. If you don’t have a cheese mould, then tie up in muslin so you can compress it & drain it to get a solid lump. Once solid’ish heat the remaining whey to 93C, and very gently lower slices of your cheese into the whey and cook gently for 10 to 20 minutes. Lift out, drain and salt. Voila! How much you get will depend on quality of your milk, but it’s not massive. We use the whey to fertilise plants after… or cook rice.

1 Like

Brilliant - thanks _ I will give it a try! X

You can get rennet in Grand Frais in the dairy section, it is in little bottles labelled présure as you might expect :wink:

1 Like

This reminds me … though you can get soy milk everywhere, I could do with learning to make it myself - and tofu - if only to save money. Hopefully i will be able to buy bulk soy beans in the local biocoop.

I am fairly sure I have seen vrac soya beans in my local biocoop, if you have got them making soya ‘milk’ is a doddle. But you can make all sorts of milkalikes.

1 Like

When I tried before it always ended up tasting too beany - doubtless I will be able to come up with some sort of charcoal filter …

Try other milkalikes eg nuts or a mixture. I don’t like soya milk except for cooking things with strong flavours, but I do like tofu cooked the many ways my Viêt greatgrandmother did it.

1 Like

I had a someone vegan staying over Christmas so I had a vertical learning curve, producing good, edible food. Mushrooms fried up in vegan margarine garlic etc then made into a sauce for seitan with soya ‘cream’ worked well.

1 Like

Being incredibly lazy, I’ve eaten stew for 18 months now :blush: - though I found myself buying stir-fry ingredients the other day and will hopefully fire up my bathroom sprouting unit :slight_smile:

Is this the point where I mention growing mustard and cress on an old piece of flannel… as a kid, in my long-distant past… :wink::relaxed:

3 Likes

Have you forgotten putting the end of a carrot in a saucer of water ?!

3 Likes

I had to give up recirculating the cistern water as it fouled up with bacteria - and the UV steriliser never arrived from China :frowning:
So I fitted two dedicated cisterns on the wall :smiley:

The watercress curtain didn’t work - it needs to sprawl and self-root, so I replaced the deep water system with flood and drain trays, but I ran out of steam … :frowning:

I truly liked your response, it carries many good and gentle suggestions.
Thank you. After many years in the beautiful Auvergne, with many mistakes made, we arrived finally at the “real France”, still very much loved and appreciated. We could never live in another country.
Your response summed it all up. Thanks .

1 Like

And thank you Giesela_Homa for your very generous endorsement. Every good wish for your own happiness wherever your feel truly at home.

1 Like

Timothy Cole
Just my opinion but I reckon a couple would need 2k a month to have a reasonable life here assuming no rent or mortgage to pay.

Judging by the amount of whinging seen on SF about costs, exchange rates, UK pensions and Brexit charges, I’d be amazed if many folk on here were on 2K a month

Or do as my neighbours do which is take a trip over to Spain (about 45 mins away) and fill up with mini plastic 5L barrels for €8, Although I’m not sure if they drink it or use it to clean things with ?

I made a point of trying salad cress on tissue, but found it inedible - perhaps it works with strong flavoured food like hard-boiled egg. I found it far too hot - but then I don’t like rocket either - it tastes like burnt car tyres to me.
My favourite sprout in the mustard family is red radish - and a few radish sprouts can perk up something a bit bland - like alfalfa.

It’s going to be my challenge to live on as little as I do in the UK. (650 a month for everything except (non) mortgage.
The main differences will be the 4K or so health insurance I will need post-doomsday until I can buy into the French system, plus running a car - something I haven’t done in 10 years.
Oh and I’m going to have to rent for the first six months at least.

EDIT:- forgot the mutuelle - about 100 a month … I deserve good healthcare in retiremnt :slight_smile:

I appreciate you wanting to live on as little as possible… but make sure your income does meet the French requirements…

It’s then up to you whether or not you spend that much… :thinking:

Well it does as an EU citizen, but technically doesn’t as a non.

At 1.1 ER it’s 1279 nett now, 1812 at age 66 - with the SMIC coming in at 1425 (all after French tax)
So the shortfall is 146 per month - 1752 per year - 8760 over 5 years - and I’m aiming to keep 100K of savings for roof / septic tank emergencies …

I’m determined not to work for years more because of a technicality.