French Credit Cards

I’ve had a French credit card since 2014, took it out with BUT. It’s only for max of 1500€ but I use it every month (food shopping/internet etc). There is a choice of paying it off or credit over set time. I always pay it off then each year around Xmas time I get a cheque to use at BUT. Last year it was for 144€

Here’s another one:

https://www.cartezero.fr/

Doesn’t a CarHire company accept a French cheque as “deposit”… ?

I’m sure that’s worked for us on one situation… and afterwards, when the bill/account was presented to us, we paid the amount by Debit Card and our cheque was returned to us…

It isn’t a deposit. It’s a sum of money blocked on a credit card to cover the insurance excess. Usually car rental companies only accept credit cards, no other method is accepted. But if your credit card is refused for whatever reason, you’re f***ed. This is usually done on pick-up day, not at the time of booking, so potentially, they can refuse to let you take the vehicle.

Ah well… I wouldn’t be renting from any company which insists I have a credit card… so they’ve lost one customer already… and I wouldn’t have thought I would be the only person in such a situation…

If they are “blocking a sum of money”… they must know the sum… and a cheque is just as valid… can’t see their problem quite frankly…

Might work, but only in France, of course.

There’s a similar one offered by FNAC. The limit is 3000 and you get 1% of what you pay out as vouchers for FNAC or Darty.

Don’t forget to declare the cartezero as a foreign account, as it’s run by the Advanzia Bank in Luxemburg.

As I said, as a Credit card.

Not all, Stella. Most of the international ones won’t accept anything but a credit card, acceptance of cheque outside France probably zero ( as in other countries they know it can bounce) and these days with money laundering rules cash would be unlikely to be accepted in mainstream countries though it once might have been possible.