French driving licence age 70

It’s not very expensive and since it’s a weekly, it’s not a great outlay to buy one :smiley:

My driving licence swap was uniquely well-timed. I got a couple of points last year which meant I had to swap. However it took a year to receive my French one, conveniently a month before I would have had to renew my UK one at 70.

Yes my mother, who is now 98, is still driving (!) - though only for extremely short and familiar local journeys, less than a mile usually.

She is quite compos mentis and capable behind the wheel but her hearing is getting quite poor even with hearing aids so I have told her it’s time she stopped!

She’s never actually taken a proper driving test - she got a provisional licence during the war and then afterwards she worked for the Ministry of Works which was in the same building as the driving test people - a friendly examiner upgraded her to a full licence!

Those were much more relaxed days!

It was easier than that, my mother would have been 97 now and she too had a full licence without passing a test. The reason was because:
Driving test suspended for the duration of World War Two and resumed on 1st November 1946 . A period of a year granted for wartime provisional licences to be converted into full licence without passing the test.

1 Like

OK that explains it - I was going by my Mum’s recollection from 70-odd years ago… she made it sound as if it was an inter-Ministry dodgy deal! :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

My Dad, who was born in 1918 started driving at a very early age and was never required to pass a test. He was the most accomplished driver that I knew and when Mum told me, after he had accompanied me driving as a young chap, that he had praised my skill to her, I took it as the greatest compliment.

He died aged 94 but had stoppoed driving some years earlier. My brother and I noticed several minor dings on his car, probably due to low speed maneouvering in car parks.

1 Like

Mine too.