French for a knob on an exterior lock

In England, there’s a great beer called ‘Snecklifter’ and I invite you to check what the French would be for that!

Could you be referring to the 2 experienced Diy’ers you mentioned in a previous post?
Pleased to read you are getting a professional in to sort out your locks.

Yes John! :grin:

Found a serrurier d’urgence from Yellow Pages with good reviews and he was wonderful! Not least when he gently suggested I stop telling him his job as I tried to explain what was wrong with the shutter lock.
He replaced the serrure multipoint for the front door - and gave me strict instructions NEVER to raise the handle upwards but to allow the door to close itself and then use the lock. Our guests are going to have to have a front door locking lesson when they arrive!
Then he took the shutter lock and used an angle grinder to cut it down to size and put that in place for me - with quite a bit of tutting about the work done by the original builders of the shutters.
As always, thanks to everyone for your suggestions and encouragement.

1 Like

But that is how you engage the multipoint locks???

Interestingly not. It’s an “automatic” lock according to him. There’s a mechanism in the door frame which the original installers never explained to us.

We live and learn, not seen that personally as most multipoints are operated in the same way, the shoot bolts are activated only by the upward movent, the single point used normally for day to day closing as you describe.

I have the same on one of my doors it took a while to understand to just close the door and not lift the handle.

Door closing ain’t what it used to be.
Lifting the door handle after it is closed to engage the lock is an alien consept to many.
My wife struggles to lock our doors and I always have to remind her to lift the handle first but when she does before the door is closed the noise of lock bolts hitting the un aligned keeps makes me cringe.

1 Like

Depends. My front door you just pull shut, all the other doors in the house you have to put the handle up.

2 Likes

We also have automatic multipoint locks, a seven point on the front door and a five point on one of the rear doors. Pull he door closed, and if required, lock with the key.

2 Likes

I’ve clearly been out of the industry too long. Will pay more attention in future :flushed:

1 Like

A small thing - any suggestions please?

The locksmith cut down the metal "tongue! of the lock on the verrou bouton/cylindre and after a couple of days in situ, with all the rain, the cut end is starting to go rusty!
Is there anything I can put on the metal where it’s been cut so it stays pristine?

Thanks for any ideas.

If its just on the end so no rubbing on other parts, paint should be fine, you may need to smooth it if its rough first.

1 Like

Clear nail varnish if you have any.

1 Like

Quite.

In fact the care home my mum was in (and I think that this is common) had the ordinary door handles arranged so that you had to lift them to release the catch.

A simple and effective way of preventing mentally infirm patients wandering off.