French Nationality for Dummies

Dual nationality applies here so one can have both a French and a UK passport at the same time.

There’s been a flood of applications for UK citizenship from french nationals living in the UK as there has been in france for french citizenship from UK nationals. I doubt very much that we Brits in France will be chucked out after Brexit takes effect. It’ll probably be back to the days of Carte de Sejours and full health insurances, that’s all.

Would parent’s death certificates suffice instead? Both of my parents are deceased and I have no idea where their birth certificates may be!

hi there
that’s great - gives me the option of UK/FR or UK/EU if that becomes possible
Phillip

1 Like

Thank you, Catherine. Very useful and comprehensive. Am I correct in believing that you have to have resided in France for 5 years before you can even begin the process?

1 Like

I’ve no idea Delia. You may get away with not providing them, but you can always get a copy here https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate
and I’ve just noticed the cost has gone down to £9.25.

1 Like

Yes, Chris, you have to have been resident for 5 years BEFORE you apply :wink:

Ah, many thanks, Sarah! Will certainly try your link if I do decide to go
down that route.

Thanks so much Catharine for your most useful information. We are certainly going to go that route as soon as we have officialized our mariage that took place over 20 years ago in South Africa. It is just about to be transcribed “sur les registres de l´État Civil Français” thanks to (very) old friends still there, and the nice secretary at the french embassy in Johannesburg. We needed that for my wife Kate (English) to be officially recognised as being married to me (French), although we somehow managed to have her British passport re-issued in my name, I don’t remember how. Obviously the British are not so fussy when it comes to paperwork (???).

Once this is done, we intend to get her a dual nationality status as the first thing they will ask for is to prove that we are legally married.

So yes Catharine, your info is coming just in time and we look forward to any updates that you may post on the subject.

John :joy:

1 Like

How good of you to take the time Catherine…Thank you!

1 Like

Perhaps the point of Jennifer Ann’s question was whether a birth certificate is needed for a child who is now an adult, and possibly not living with the applicant? Surely it is not expected that one’s application is for all descendants? Or is it that details of all immediate relations are required regardless of their age and whether they live with the applicant. This will make a big difference to many potential applicants, and many adult offspring (as for parents) will not want their personal details being shared with the French (or any other) state.

I presume it’s so that your ‘livret de famille’ can be completed when you actually get French Citizenship?

Why on earth do they need a copy of title deeds if you own your house? I haven’t seen that mentioned before. Do they need copies of title deeds for all property owned, such as a maison secondaire or land?

Yes, that is correct.

Sorry I meant everyone needs a birth certificate if they are applying for French nationality. You only need to provide birth certes for your children if they are under 18. Hope this helps and sorry about the delay in responding but it has been a very hectic week!

Re the parental death certs, I’ve just had another read of the guidelines and can’t see a mention of this, but am probably being thick (it’s early and I haven’t had enough coffee yet…!) - where did you see this? Can you remember? X

I don’t know about death certificates, but you can get birth certificates through that link. If parents are dead I’m not sure they’re needed for the naturalisation process though. I’m not even sure you can get birth certificates for other people. I haven’t actually tried to do that. Which would solve that problem. :slight_smile:

I have so far collected the parent’s birth certificates, but not those of my children who are over eighteen, are they still required?

The deeds for the house are the size of a telephone directory, do they need all that? Or one part of it? Does this mean a trip to the Notaire?

Where can I get official translations carried out please?

Is a Bulletin Numero 3 the equivalent of “un extrait original de casier judiciaire ou un document équivalent” It is signed by Le magistrate chargé du Casier judicaire national, Xavier Pavageux.

Ah, my parents are dead, does this mean I didn’t need their birth certs after all?

Great to have this info! Thank you Catharine. Will be applying in April 2018 (at 5 yr mark) in Lyon. Any idea on timeframe for processing and actually obtaining citizenship (or official response) provided all required documentation is provided?
Many thanks for any feedback.

currently around two years on last info given in my area (midi-pyrénées) but can be quicker :wink:

1 Like