French people

Please DFTT

My step grandfather in the Luftwaffe got shot down behind Russian lines in 1943 - meanwhile my French grandfather the para was a Japanese POW and my Scottish grandfather was in SOE. Only the latter two survived.
What a shambles.

This has to be a wind up!? Did you also vote for Brexit?

3 Likes

There was a post on FB this morning from the daughter of an old friend announcing the birth of her baby boy. The mother is very, very early twenties but she gave the baby’s weight in pounds and ounces. She should not know about pounds and ounces except from her history lessons.

1 Like

To be fair it was probably the midwife that gave her the weight in imperial.

1 Like

I have a distant memory of the Imperial system of weights being hand in glove with Avoir Du Poids. The latter used to be stencilled on the side of carts and lorries e.g Laden Weight 4 tons 6 cwt Avoir Du Poids.

Am I dreaming this apparant frenchification of the Anglo-Saxon?

It’s a wind-up. :pensive:

Avoirdupois, :wink: 13thC spelling.

1 Like

if you want a friend buy a french bulldog

1 Like

So, is this a wind up or not?! I’m making it unlisted in any case, not something I want to be associated with

1 Like

Trust me, when you have just pushed a baby out, you want the weight in the most impressive format possible.
So “EIGHT pounds TEN ounces” sounds waaaaay better than the equivalent in grammes :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got a mixture of units in GB, I can remember what they all were but only kilos actually meant something :grin:

1 Like

yes, it all depends what comes naturally
 in that moment of high tension/anxiety/elation or whatever
 :grin::hugs::hugs:

I helped a friend when he was building a house in the UK. When he was doing the roof he was measuring between trusses and gave the measurement as I metre 18 inches. Everyone knew what he meant. For model enthusiasts, the scale for HO gauge is 4mm : I foot. A strange mix of measures.

3 Likes

Brilliant VĂ©ro, something was telling me there was summat wonky about my recollection.

Am I right in thinking it’s an elegant way of announcing “weight”?

1 Like