French property insurance

Hi no I wasn’t involved in anyway but because we bought the house we lived in and the land where the cottages were built on together apparently I inherit all of these problems. The Artisans who carried out the works involved have disappeared so I am the only one responsible. It’s a nightmare.

1 Like

but the artisans will have been Registered and have their own Insurance won’t they… so even if they have disappeared… their Insurers will still be liable…

1 Like

I’m with @Gareth on this and it seems to me correct that fines and costs etc are levied on the estate of the ‘guilty’ party.

BTW, I don’t think @Shiba 's response was inappropriate, the insurance law is there for a reason and I quite understand how she feels if her husband strived to obey it when others, for whatever reason, ignore it.

@Jeanette

The Artisans who carried out the works involved have disappeared so I am the only one responsible. It’s a nightmare.

If they have disappeared that seems to me to be fly by night operations, maybe even paid for in cash. In any case their insurance, if they had it, would be payable to you, or the estate, and it is therefore right that you should be the one to find them and claim from them.

I am still wondering if it is possible, if you weren’t a partner in the business, for you to walk away from the inheritance, but that might cost you more than paying what they demand.

1 Like

True - but I suspect that it would need proof their work was at fault - the builder, however, is liable without anyone needing to prove they were directly responsible for the problems.

However, as I said, it might help to mitigate Jeanette’s liability if there is *some* insurance policy which can be claimed against.

@Jeanette - have you got professional legal advice, if not I think that has to be your first priority.

Also, sorry to say and it was the reason that I asked about the time line is that I’m getting a sense this has dragged on for some time - quite understandable if, for example, your husband was ill but it probably hasn’t helped your position.

@Shiba - would you like me to restore your posts?

I am in no doubt that the artisans were registered and I have someone looking into their details. Again I am not arguing that my husband was right to not get any insurance if he had me and my children would not be going through this nightmare. The artisans were not paid in cash. I cannot access his CMB acc now he has passed to check all of this. However I have offered the buyers the money against the original quote for works they sent to me for 10000 euro each but then they decided they want compensation so refused it they now want 51000, 45000 and 36000. They are still living quite happily in the properties so to me this is just greed. Why should I be given a judicial sentence and have this on my clean record for something I had no part of. I have been in contact with their solicitors all through the process but now it has gone too far and I have no idea why they are asking for this amount of money. The cottages didn’t cost this much to build. They are very much still habitable.

Sadly for you, this is how the french law works in this case. I would think you should get definitive answers from an advocate as to what position you may have. You were not part of the business. On what basis can the 3 have a claim for compensation, what loss have they suffered?

It sounds horrible at the moment but you must get legal help not rely on oppinion from us. That doesnt mean some of us dont care.

3 Likes

:+1: Agreed.

1 Like

Yes its an understandable response but not helpful and is just splean venting. I understand Shiba’s frustration but its happened and someone is left with this who was not part of the business but was married to someone no longer here to answer for the issues. Please be nicer and consider its too late to change this.

1 Like

Ditto

2 Likes

I strongly suspect she’s there anyway more than we realize.