French situation as at 19/20 August and into November

To be fair there have been similar protests in Paris and Berlin.

Hospital admissions remain low and the number of patients actually in hospital stable or falling which does suggest a different dynamic from the start of the pandemic. Probably a mixture of doing more tests so picking up more mild cases and, perhaps, more circulation among the young so not as many severely affected individuals as well.

However the rise is rapid and clearly exponential so if it continues the number of cases needing hospitalisation will start to rise again - and if we do get to the point of the health service being overwhelmed it might be quite difficult to put the djinn back in the bottle.

Cases are rising in the UK but (at least for the moment) it looks linear which might all be due to increased testing.

Figures well down on yesterday. ‘‘Tis the weekend though,

https://www.bfmtv.com/sante/coronavirus-en-france-5453-nouveaux-cas-recenses-en-24-heures_AN-202008290118.html

But more than 50% up on last Saturday :frowning:

Yes the truly wonderful Robert F Kennedy Jr has been speaking in Berlin today
:slightly_smiling_face:

This was the Children’s Health Defence press conference beforehand

Paul, have you any data concerning C-19 and deaths of people that smoke. As over heard a Dr saying there are none or very few in France.

People that smoke? :grinning:

There are some commentaries on this by french doctors

And a WHO brief

Not specifically though I had picked up the claim that they are “immune” which I actually find unlikely as smokers usually wind up with either lung or circulatory problems both of which are going to be associated with less good outcomes - but I hadn’t been interested enough to look up the data.

As well as the WHO link there is a bit of info here from the British Heart Foundation:

Thanks Paul & @JaneJones All very anti smoking and non conclusive. I can’t see myself going out to buy a packet of Gitans filtres today.

Positive tests going up
Un taux de positivité des tests à 4,1%

Selon SantĂ© Publique France, le taux de positivitĂ© des tests - soit le nombre de personnes testĂ©es positives divisĂ© par le nombre de personnes testĂ©es, sur les 7 derniers jours consolidĂ©s - s’élĂšve Ă  4,1%.

L’agence fait Ă©galement Ă©tat de 40 foyers Ă©pidĂ©miques en cours d’investigation supplĂ©mentaires en 24 heures. Leur nombre s’élĂšve dĂ©sormais Ă  346 (hors Ehpad).

I’m still not sure that the fact that the virus is circulating predominantly in the young means that it is a good idea to sit by and watch, there has been concern about Covid leading to a “two speed” society with the young out and about and more elderly (or just middle aged) stuck at home too frightened by the prospect of infection to venture out - certainly we’ve eaten out just once since March and are not in a hurry to do so again.

BUT - if we are going to go down that path, why are we bothering (in the UK) with quarantine when the chances are we’re not that much different to the continent in reality.

3 Likes

Maybe the Gov. has to be seen getting Covid-19 done as well as Brexit

1 Like

I suspect that there is a kernel of truth to this - or to be seen to “be doing something about C19” but their approach is haphazard at best.

and hapless at the least :wink:

Not very encouraging figures today,
https://www.bfmtv.com/sante/coronavirus-pres-de-9000-nouveaux-cas-en-24-heures-en-france_AN-202009040267.html

Awful! How can they have got it so wrong?

Easily! Hindsight is a wonderful science.

Presumably by looking at hospitalisations and assuming that - since they were falling - things were “OK”

My views haven’t changed much, I can see why the French government might be holding back from lockdown measures (“the economy, stupid”) based on the notion that the virus is predominantly circulating amongst the young who aren’t getting that sick.

My worry remains that will provide a huge reservoir which will be difficult to control if, or probably when, it starts spilling into more vulnerable groups again.

For now I’ve only been proven half right (10k cases per day seems a certainty) - I hope that it stays that way.

September was always going to be the testing month (pardon the pun) with schools/uni’s back after the holidays and most work places open. Like Paul I too am a little concerned that while hospitals are coping now the flu season isn’t far away which is the ‘perfect storm’ to see them being swamped.

I’m hoping (and it is at least plausible) that there won’t be much of a 'flu season this winter.

The measures against Covid (masks, social distancing and increased hand washing) are likely to be equally or more effective against 'flu and, of course, we do have the ability to vaccinate.

Also there seems to be an effect amongst respiratory viruses where one will be successful and “crowd out” the others.

Fingers crossed.

2 Likes