French Tropical Islands included in the statistics for calculating Winter Fuel Allowance

OK, enormously meant of course, that's the problem with rhetorical English ;-)

A bit Brian?

The question is how many British citizens live in those parts of France?

We do not have to accept those figures and we will not. This is the difference between the UK and France, we stand up and fight for what affects us and I do not include pensions, which are universally affected by demographics wherever you live.

This is a deliberate attempt to massage the figures and they have been found out!

No they have the same head of state, and all defence and foreign relation questions are controlled by the UK parliament Sort of Department without representation?

All of which does not excuse the UK government from the way they calculated who should or should not get the winter fuel allowance anyway. It looks a bit contrived, given the large number of UK citizens here.

Shortest Monaco @ 4km.

Good old village quiz questions that one gets several times over a couple of decades in England!

I don't think that Bermuda or the T&Cs send any MPs to Westminster though do they. The DOMs aren't overseas territories (those are the TOMs) they are Départements just like any département just further away. Corsica is 2 départements & nobody thinks that's weird.... We are all scared stiff Tahiti will vote to be a Département (because we don't want it to be a D, it is perfectly OK from our point of view as a T, just as we didn't want Mayotte) Nouvelle Calédonie is less likely to vote for it but would be a pain if it did.

And are analogous to the British Overseas Territories thus Bermuda, the Turks etc should have been the basis for the comparison :-)

20 sur 20 en géo Brian! You would be amazed how many people think it is Spain ;-)

Easy one: Brazil @ 730km with the department (but not in French terms country) of French Guiana.

Réunion, Mayotte, Guadeloupe, Martinique & Guyane ARE integral parts of France just as Corsica is or the Ile de Ré - it isn't a question of figure massaging it is what the law says. If you calculate a mean temperature for France you have to accept that (no matter how silly it seems).

Do you know with which country France has its longest land border?

Petition link: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/52121
Please sign - if only to bring to the attention of the government bureaucrats that we aren't as stupid as they think we are!!

I have signed the petition. I have friends in a rather temperate part of Italy who will continue to receive, to quote Victor Meldrew "I don't believe it!".