French Wildlife

I had some more photos of the bird hide progress but, in place of icloud downloading them automatically allowing me to post them in the normal way here, it has suddenly decided to demand a password and won’t accept the only one I have ever had. Not quite, as I recently learned how to scan a QR code I did that as an alternative and the result was ‘continue to your destination’ but then wanted the bloody password again.

Any ideas, experts? :thinking:

I posted earlier (post 928) that the eggs in the collared doves’ nest have hatched. Well, for the past few days, we’ve seen a lot of movement in the nest and have actually seen the two babies. My - they’ve grown. And mummy and daddy - who we call Lovie and Dovie - still take it in turn to sit on the nest, feed them and do whatever collared doves do. But it’s a miracle the babies haven’t fallen out of the nest. Well, it’s not a nest as one knows it - it’s just a load of twigs just like this (stock photo - but you get the idea ! ) Another week and we reckon they’ll be gone ! :pink_heart:

7 Likes

My daughter in Paris has windowboxes and about 3 weeks ago a pigeon laid her eggs under a rosebush in the one in front of the kitchen window, today the babies flew away after a little visit inside yesterday. Dear little squabs :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

I hear squab pigeon is a bit of a delicacy. Shouldn’t imagine there’s much meat on them but I don’t think I could eat my little collared doves. :pink_heart:

1 Like

Mean jokes about deliciousness of squab pie etc have been made. Poor little sweethearts.

2 Likes

I remember that years ago, a baby robin had flown into our house while we were away. Luckily, it was cute, because I had spent hours cleaning up its droppings all over the place :face_with_steam_from_nose:

1 Like

A Breton Spaniel we were fostering many years ago, managed to find the Robins’ nest on the ground in the ivy, just outside the window where I had been watching them.

One day he came to me and delicately dropped something in my palm, it was a completely naked baby Robin which squirmed and squeaked as I was holding it.

I was so impressed that he hadn’t harmed it but at the same time worried that he might do it again. However, I told him he was a good boy and stroked him but made him follow me back to the nest and, after I returned it gently to the family, then held his snout and, looking into his eyes said quietly but firmly ‘no’. He never did it again.

5 Likes

I think they’re having a protest. “Free the Paris 8 !! If we got away why can’t they”.

2 Likes

In the absence of any expert advice with me being locked out of icloud there will be no more pictures of the bird hide.

Unless either I go back to a ‘proper’ camera or someone can explain how I publish photos here directly from this so-called ‘smart’ phone.

Anyway back up there again now to do more work on it. No point in taking any pics this time though, I’ll leave it here.

Like this David, no need for iCloud



3 Likes

@David_Spardo - forgive me if you or anyone thinks I’m talking a load of rubbish but what I do with any photos Stuart takes on the phone, is to connect the phone to the PC, transfer the photos to the hard drive, then using the upload icon (4th from right on the reply posting) and go to the folder where the photo is (photos are) and click on the one I want to upload. Or sometimes I just copy the image I want to send and insert it in the body of the text. Does anyone understand what I’m saying or am I on the wrong track completely. For me, the only cloud I know is the one I can see in the sky. Can’t be doing with icloud ! :pink_heart:

Edit: I really want to see how things are going with your hide David :pink_heart:

What @Wozza means is to access SF directly from your smartphone (just think mini computer)

Thanks all 3 of you, just here to order some protections to the heavy duty see through plastic for the roof which is in position (fits perfectly) but only temporarily secured, so got to go straight back up to finish there now.

Be back again soon to absorb and try out your suggestions/instructions. If another picture appears you’ll know I have got something right. :wink:

1 Like

Bon courage

1 Like

@David_Spardo - I mentioned how we get our photos from the phone to the SF website because we’re not ones for using our phone to its full potential. That’s because we’re way behind in knowing HOW to use smartphones. For us, it’s just used for Android Auto in the car, taking photos, confirming payments through CA bank, and using the Merlin Bird App. We don’t make calls through it, text with it or anything like that. We use the PC for the internet and everything else. I think you could call us technologically challenged. :pink_heart:

Snap, you could be describing me except that I don’t make payments with it and I haven’t downloaded Merlin yet.
Right a quick look at this photo thing, then it is already time for our walk past and into the forest and field.

1 Like

No good at the moment, nothing to connect iphone to computer. Back soon, off with Jules now.

David I’m sure any USB cable would do - like this . :pink_heart:

No, I have lots but nothing like that, at the iphone end it is a small solid connector, not at all like anything else I have.

Also AI tells me to go to Safari then open Pair Drop on both devices. It opens on the computer but cannot be found on the phone.

I have a feeling this is the root of the problem. I only bought this iphone in order to pair with my Apple Watch and get it started and I bought it 2nd hand from Amazon and think maybe it is too old. One option with icloud was to scan a QR code which I now know how to do, but it didn’t recognise the phone and some little writing said it must be model so and so or later, so this is obviously neither.

More efforts later, time to feed my mate, then me.Bon appetit :joy:

Yes, it’s that time of the day for the cats and Ruby too. And I’m going to have a toasted cheese and ham sarnie and a pot of yoghurt. I had one of my favourites at lunchtime - calves liver with rosemary, buttery mash and peas. Stuart calls that MOOK (cos he talks funny) so he had savoury minced meat and rice. He’s at the lake at the moment - he’ll be home about 9pm and he wants a blackcurrant jam sandwich (one of his favourites) and a packet of crisps - not together though! And he’s earned a Guinness tonight too. :pink_heart: