From property purchase through renovation

I’m sure we all wish you well in this venture Mat…

Perhaps you could come back with a new Topic, telling us how things progress… that would be really interesting …and it would be encouraging to others who might be (almost) as brave as you are. :blush:

How did it go?? I’m anxious to hear, if only because I"m in the process of making an offer on a place. Thanks

Somewhat frustratingly we are still waiting to hear if our current offer has been accepted, there have been several lower rejected offers.

It seems to be a very slow process.

Other lower offers from yourself or others?

It has been a very long time indeed - I apologise for not replying sooner.

Eventually our offer was accepted (Mar 18) and things progressed quite quickly with the Notaire…

At this point the doubts started to happen as to the overall viability of the project.

We eventually pulled out of the contract before the Acte de Vente was finalised, we lost our deposit which we knew would happen. It was an expensive episode but better to limit the expense at that point than proceed with the project.

We are continuing to look at alternate houses.

1 Like

Mat, I have to say that I had a similar sort of experience; I didn’t get to the point of paying the deposit. However, the experience with the local carpenters was excrutiating and puzzling, and downright disrespectful. And, perhaps it was because I was looking at property with similar issues as concerned viability of the repairs needed. I even had a structural engineer come in and look at it, and he found some obvious stuff that needed immediate attention that the carpenters/contractors hadn’t bothered to look at or mention. It was…complex; as I’m sure yours sounds to have been.

But, it’s not going to stop me. It does make things interesting and a bit challenging, no? A few more gray hairs.

It’s smart to have been serious enough to get to the point of making the deposit, but then I feel also smart to have had the guts to pull out. Not an easy thing to do, bravo to you. Sometimes I wonder if we would get the answers/responses, if we hadn’t actually acted to that extent. I chalk it up to my education costs :slight_smile:

Rather than losing a deposit, for my part, I’m in danger of losing my french horn which I foolishly stored in the property (thinking I was surely going to buy it). I go back to retrieve said horn, in a few weeks. :blush:

I for one would be interested to learn what your next steps might be, and I would be happy to update on my discoveries and decisions for purchasing. I’m now looking at Bourgogne, perhaps near Auxerre, in the Morvan forest preserve. There seem to be a lot of properties in my price range there…

Cheers! Onward.

2 Likes

We have only gone and done it again!..

On Monday we have signed on the dotted line once more but for a different house…hopefully we won’t have to pull out this time.

To give you an idea of the challenge ahead:

1 Like

And to top it off - this all happened on the day of Sterling falling to its lowest level in 3 years!

You are doing very well… looks like you have the means for washing and cooking… both were absent from our house when we bought it… :roll_eyes::grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

That looks positively palatial compared to a house that a Belgian friend has just bought as a second home.

At least you have water, cooking facilities and a means to get clean! Those tiles on the kitchen floor are very popular in my ‘neck of the woods’, and I suspect elsewhere here.

Do hope that all goes well for you, whereabouts in France have you landed ?

1 Like

All looks tickety-boo to me, too. Our gas cooker is identical and if anything slightly more tired looking, but works perfectly well, save for one ring burner that seems seriously unenthused about heating anything. Our sink and cupboard beneath is a close match too. Very cosy.

Our motto is “if it ain’t broke, why fix it?” :thinking::grinning:

1 Like

If you ever need any spare parts just shout!

Very thoughtful of you, Mat :blush:. I will keep that in mind next time the door drops off :scream::joy::+1:

We are quite attached to the curiously old-fashioned thing, it seems to have served three former proprietors over the last fifteen years or so, maybe because it’s dead simple and serves its purpose 100% effectively and consistently (as long as the door stays on).

Just over a year later I thought it may be time for a quick update.

We have been knocking down walls and removing ceilings:

This is to create an ensuite.

This is to create a bigger kitchen/dining room. (Today’s job is remove the rubble to dechetterie = living the dream!)

Just a quick lick of paint and all will be good!

Also removing cladding to uncover a nice barn behind which will be great in the garden:

Still to do:
Barn Roof
Remove render & repoint
Insulation
Electrics
Heating
Bathrooms
Kitchen
Tiling
Painting
Gardening

For any Instagramers - my wife if posting many photos via MyFrenchTownHouse - which seems to be proving popular.

6 Likes

Love the stone fireplace!

In it’s full glory (before we started destroying things!) :

3 Likes

It is a gorgeous feature. Look forward to seeing the finished renovation!

Bravo, Mat! The naked door-frame is surreal, full of promise, and the barn seems to have straightened it’s spine: you can see the wide smile on its handsome face!

I hope you have retired the cooker gracefully. Our scabby Brandt is still working and plays like an old spinnet or harpsichord, can’t bring ourselves to dump it.

More updates please :hugs::grinning:

They are incredibly versatile, I have lots, and they roll up very neatly. Being waterproof they might make a good outdoor bath for dirty dogs. Not that I have a dog that needs one.

Love stories like this Mat ( except for the buying issues), but the renovation/refresh; I follow to see how people do things, and get around issues. Great work. More pics and descriptions if you have time please :slightly_smiling_face: