Fuel costs

We used to have a weighbridge just near our house… folk weighed everything…containers or sacks of grain… bundles round and oblong of stray or hay…

The chasse would come to weigh the odd sanglier or cerf…and insist I took a photo for them…

We’ve been modernised now and all that old countrystyle stuff has gone… sadly :cry:

Ah. I get mine delivered. Compared with the convenience of going out of the house to greet the man when he arrives with my wood, 20 mins to stash it and back indoors, the notion of turning into a time consuming exercise of driving round Normandy to find somewhere to weigh it, doesn’t appeal much.

Hi Anna… we have wood parties… about 3 couples gather when a delivery is due… nothing to do with weighing though… everyone helps unload and stack… me, I am in charge of supplying cold drinks and lots of encouragement…

we all help one another… as and when…

Yes, I thought that but if Maddie really meant 220€ a corde, not per stere/m3 maybe not as much as I thought. From previous posts she is in Finistere, googling “chauffage de bois Finistere” comes up with a lot of suppliers more expensive than that. However I did note cheaper prices mentioned (down to 50€ per stere). I only had a quick glance and I suspect that would need work to get it into nice 30cm logs to go into the burner but, if that is an option, it might get the price down.

It might be worth knowing where Maddie is getting the logs from.

it probably depends how many suppliers…

Lots of wood around us… about 6 suppliers… we’ve stuck with our man for many years and are pleased with his price and his product… burns/heats well with very, very little waste… and that ash goes on a neighbour’s heap for his garden… :laughing: he keeps us supplied with excess fruit and veg… great life… :heart_eyes:

Yes in Finistere the going rate is about 200 a cord for seasoned wood. The stuff I get is very dry and I have had slightly cheaper from local farmer but not as dry. Yes you are right about the stone!!

Good to know!

I doubt the process would be any different except that you’d order, say, 500kg rather than a stere. I presume that you trust the delivery guy and don’t get a tape measure out to check you have a 1m cube of wood, why would it be any different if bought by weight.

The trouble is that a stere is supposed to be 1m3 of stacked wood cut into 1m logs. If cut into smaller logs, the volume changes. So if you buy a stere of 33cm logs you won’t get a m3 and you have no option but to trust that you are getting the correct amount.

I never thought of that… I have always ordered 9 or 10 stères and then he asks what I want them cut into…

As my hands/arms play up from time to time… the size I can handle is getting smaller now, but he doesn’t seem to mind and the price hasn’t varied for a long time.

Not sure someone else would be so sympathetic :zipper_mouth_face:

I pay €150 a corde for dry oak delivered and stacked. I have never measured the pile exactly but I have always received three cords at a time as a complete trailer load and am more than happy with the value for money I receive. Earlier this winter I saw a table explaining how a cubic metre made from 1 metre logs at a certain price compared to cubic metres of 50cm and 33cm logs explaining why the shorter the cut the more expensive the load. I’d always presumed you paid more for a cubic metre of 33cm wood because of the labour involved but actually you get more wood as well.
I used to cut my wood into 50cm lengths but was surprised to find that they are cut nearer to 106cm than a metre. That was time consuming as two logs of 53cm will fit into my logburner but a 54cm length might not. Now I cut each length into three and have firewood that is easier to handle and burns better in my poele than the longer lengths.

Yes I do trust him and I don’t measure it, but I’ve always assumed that the point of using the volume as a measurement is that it’s quite easy for anyone to judge by eye whether you have around a cubic metres of wood or not, and if in doubt you could measure it. Whereas I wouldn’t have a clue whether or not the weight was correct and weighing it isn’t a practical option for most people. I’ve always accepted a stère as a fairly approximate measure, I don’t have an issue with that.

Unlike a lot of other people I have no intention of hiding my beautiful stone walls behind characterless plasterboard and use the stone as a heat soak. The heat from my poele and the heat source in my kitchen don’t just heat the air they heat the fabric of the house and once this heat is maintained it doesn’t take much to get the rooms comfortable. I rarely go away for long in the winter these days as once the core temperature of my house drops it will take a week or ten days to get it back up. I turned down two invites for Christmas away for that very reason. Walking in my kitchen on the tiled floor sitting on a concrete base is quite pleasant as much of it remains warm almost as though it has underfloor heating.

1 Like

Good price!!

So, we have ascertained that David gets his wood at a good price and Maddie might be able to shop around but is not exactly paying over the odds.

ISTR (Ok, I looked over old threads) that Maddie does have a gas boiler - I presume that is out of action?

Or perhaps it is time to install that heat pump system you were talking about?

Just a though @Maddie1

When you put your logburner on… do you have a fan somewhere, that could waft the heat around.

We fitted a ceiling fan into the dining part of a very large room… log burner is situated at the other end, alongside the door to the hallway (this is just where the fireplace happens to be…

Anyway… when logburner is going strong, the fan really does even out the heat… and if we leave the door open into the hallway, the heat is wafted elsewhere as well… yippee…

Ecofan is the way to go :grin:

yes and no money for a new system

Just a regular ceiling fan?

Hi Maddie… yes, we bought it from UK… .it has a summer/winter switch which changes the direction of the flow.

It was sitting in the loft while we were renovating… and we fitted it originally to add cool air at what we would use as the dining end.

After fitting a log burner at “lounge” end of the room… we decided to try it in the winter months as well… and it works. I suppose it is pulling heat from the fire end, by swirling etc… whatever, it works well and soon the whole room is heated.

Friends do have the fans that work via heat from the stove/fire… and swear by them. You need to check your heatoutput. Our burner is 14kw and I seem to think this is above the recommendation…(12kw max I think). If yours is lower output, it should work well for you… and of course, no electrics to pay for…

As I say, we used what we had available… and it really makes a difference… if you have an ordinary fan… try using that to stir the air…

Interesting as I always think of a fan as cooling. My burner is hugs takes 50 cm logs so i guess the portable ones won’t be adequate but I will certainly look into it!! thanks