Fuel price in France at the moment

When travelling we look on this site it has always been very accurate

http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr

Put in your town, post code etc and it lists all the garages in your choice and their prices

I paid 1.11 euros for diesel at leclerc so that’s about 80p - it’s always almost cheaper than uk I find.

It's swings and roundabouts Jane. Some routes work out cheaper believe it or not and some a bit more. For example Montauban - Caussade = 1.5€ Caussade - Brive = 11.3€ Total = 12.8€ But Montauban - Brive direct = 12.7€ so 10 centimes more expensive. The savings at les grandes surfaces against motorway pumps can be between 5 - 10 € which is quite a lot if you are doing some serious motoring for work or pleasure.

sometimes you pay less, Jane, a bloke wrote an appli/website to help people plan their routes cutting tolls by leaving and rejoining the autoroute ;-)

Does anyone know if you pull off the autoroute will you pay any more in tolls?

It's a bit of a game Anne and the cat and mouse tactics have been going on for months as the french government have made no secret of the fact they wish to bring the price of diesel up to unleaded levels. Around christmas the price of diesel and unleaded dropped dramatically even falling to below 1€ / l in a few places, the lowest prices in four or five years. This xmas present was pretty short-lived however when the government increased duty on diesel in one foul swoop a few weeks later.

To answer you question, avoid motorway stations, instead pull off the motorway at a largish town and find the nearest supermarket/hypermarket, Intermarché or Leclerc etc etc and save yourself some money.

Great. Thanks for the replies.

So, not as big a drop in prices as over in the UK, but still good price. Will fill up once we land in France then :)

this site gives a pretty good idea too although I passed a service station today which was selling at 1,20€ and the site indicates a couple of centimes more!

€1.239 at La Souterraine this morning. Not as cheap as it's been :-(

1,18€ at my local intermarché at the moment, a lot more on the autoroutes, as gerald says ;-)

I forgot to say that you can download an app for you phone, called Essence, which will give you the nearest petrol stations to where you are and list them in ascending price for gasoil, 95 and 98. You can set the filters to make it do what you want. Very useful. Tie that up with a foodie app, and you sneak off the motorway, fill up the car and have a nice meal that is not expensive...

As in the UK if you use the supermarket pumps you will get the best deal. At Intermarche pumps it is slightly south of 1.2 euros. Don't buy fuel on the autoroutes because you will pay at least twenty centimes more per litre or more.

Im