Fuel Smell

Join the club Peter, this is our crop from this year about 50kilo and like you say they will keep for up to 6 months if kept in a cool place and then brought into the house in small quantities at a time to ripen which takes about 2-3 weeks.
Do not worry about packing them individually because they are very thick skinned, just check the boxes every few weeks for any signs of any bad ones.
Kiwi’s are one of the best sources of vitamin C.

3 Likes

Perhaps we should recommend that the OP does not weld in her cellar until the problem is sorted out. Mr Hodge is scaremongering.

2 Likes

Certainly shouldn’t weld the tank itself :wink: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Many thanks, Mick. I’m gradually getting the hang of the kiwi fruit world. Seems they thrive on benign neglect, second year of taking them over I cut the dense tangle back heavily, result almost no fruit. So I let the tangle tangle, result heavy crop despite abnormally dry season here oop north. Fruit didn’t fall, they were still firm and clingy, but fully developed. Took a lot of picking, neighbours helped, over 1,600 from four stands.

2 Likes

I had to make a decision that I am getting it sorted as soon as I can and that it is unlikely I will be leaving this earth in a huge fireball. Otherwise I would have had a second sleepless night. Having said that I do appreciate all the advice and want to sort this situation asap. Fumes smell horrible and it can’t be good for us/anyone else.

The boiler here is new. We don’t have the money to replace it now but I am not keen on fuel heating and this experience hasn’t made me a convert!

1 Like

Sorry for taking your post off course with the Kiwi fruit post, hope all is sorted for you and a big welcome to SF.

2 Likes

Sorry too, Marijke, it’s easy to lose the thread of a topic and to seem to have frivolous disregard for your worries. We do share them and you can’t escape the ever-present reminder of your potential hazard. Do hope you can soon see the back of it, and that it can be speedily and cheaply sorted.

2 Likes

No problem at all :grinning: I would rather think about delicious kiwi fruit! Thank you for your warm welcome.

2 Likes

Thank you and I have enjoyed having a giggle at all the posts!

2 Likes

Marijke… it’s good to giggle… and it’s also good to know that if your boiler is new it should give you several years of sterling service.

I am sure you will feel better once an engineer has come along and sorted out the cuve situation. With the smell finally got rid of… you can enjoy the cosy CH in your new home… :hugs:

1 Like

That plastic pipe looks like a fill pipe from here - possibly goes to the outside wall and has a screw-on cap so that the tanker can get his fill hose close enough.

Just a thought…

1 Like

Perhaps the owner can enlighten us as to which it is ?

Taking a guess here, but it looks like a vent pipe to me (see comments from Robert Hogde on vent pipes & bends), from the photo it looks like screw cap on the right is the fill entry point. ???

I will go and look.

If gently bringing industry approved safety advice and relevant government safety and environmental protection regulations to the notice of a wider audience is to be classified as ‘scaremongering’, then I am happy for the jury of the wider public to decide whether I am guilty or not.

If confusing the situation with irrelevant advice fits you carry on doing it. Nothing I say will stop you. You are as usual going out of your way to find ‘facts’ that you hope might somehow have a vague link to your original incorrect post. We are talking about central heating oil in a purpose built installation in winter, not a highly volatile liquid or gas. The part about drains was particularly interesting as if it’s cold enough for the fumes to fall to the ground there won’t be much of a smell anyway. Carry on as usual, don’t let me stop you.

The plastic pipe on the right is to carry the fumes outside. As you can see the exit is quite close to the cellar door. Some people have recommended extending this as there are windows above it. The top of this pipe had the wasps nest (well bit of a wasps nest in).

I think the fuel goes in the far left entry point on the tank (but i could be wrong as now questioning myself as to which one was used - we have only had one delivery so far). It is the one with the lever (not sure what it is called?) in the middle that appears to have a split on the seal.

Maybe we will have some answers tomorrow when heating engineers come. However as James pointed out- best not to trust the people who didn’t fix it the first time, or the second! But there is also a new ‘chauffagist’ coming on Thursday,

1 Like

Thanks Marijke - that clears up the question about the plastic pipe!! Definitely an air admittance pipe :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At the risk of posting exhaustively on this topic here is a picture of a small proportion

of the cigarette butts around the tank before being cleared up! And for good measure I have added one pic of where the kamikaze smoker was stubbing out the butts - on the tank!! And it looks like they were stubbing them out on all the pipes too. Totally insane.

Fingers crossed she will be a chauffagiste, Marijke, at least the smell of hot male pheromones won’t compound the other disagreeable pongs in your cellar. Only joking! :zipper_mouth_face::joy: