Fuel Smell

Get anything hot enough near anything combustible and you’re in trouble! It comes down to the probability or likelihood which is very low.

Yes, for environmental reasons.

1 Like

Hi Stella, thanks for your message.

We currently have a temporary fix in place. The original boiler maintenance company put silicon all around the seal which has really helped. And we took a pane out of the cellar window to increase ventilation. They told me it would not be possible to source a new seal/lever for the tank.

However a second independent plumber had a look and said it would be no problem to buy a new seal/lever (sorry can’t remember exactly what this is called!) He is coming in February so fingers crossed it will be properly fixed then.

The smell in the house has gone although I am noticing an occasional waft of it outside.

Many thanks again to everyone for all their help and replies.

4 Likes

Sure, but even if the likelihood is low, it doesn’t hurt to put a little work into minimising the chances. At least, that’s my opinion :slight_smile:

Of course, so knock down the building and move the tank further away from the house, or change to electric heating. Putting effort into something that is already a low risk would have to be personal choice.

Dump first lazy and incompetent plumber and sign up the second plumber.
Glad your smell has gone from inside, hopefully with ventilation the smell outside will reduce.

2 Likes