Garden fires

Debra, the man responsible for environmental matters of our communauté de communes (actual works outside with them and not the office person) who is also our deputy maire and president of the local hunt has just come to pick me up to go out hunting this morning (I marshal for them, not shoot). Whilst he is enjoying his espresso in the kitchen, this is what he says and he is well aware of the law. It really applies to urbanisations, large hamlets, villages and bigger settlements. Also, he says to look at the status of anybody's land on which they intend to burn. Ours, for instance, is still classified as agricultural because our field is used for hay meadow that is harvest by local farmers and also as grazing land when the meadows lower down are flooded for which we are given a small 'rent'. The point is, the status of land defines whether people can burn or not. I take that to mean people should find out. However, he pointed out that unless people are doing it in the centre of a village or town nobody will enforce it anyway.

OK, red gillette on and off I go to get damp in the rain :-(

Teehee, the overseer at 'our' decheterie is father of one of our younger daughter's friends and has sampled my best malts each birthday party he has brought his daughter to. He has somebody unload and dump the stuff for me. Nepotism rules OK, at the dump at least ;-)

Our mairie has a notice up on their board saying when it is permissible to have fires again. So much for nationally illegal. I had a large fire, we have a lined pit for burning in from when this was a farm, burning this week on the day after it became permissible and was talking to our mayor as smoke occasionally billowed over us. All around the valley, thus also in two other communes, there was plenty of smoke. Farmers hereabouts burn all year round. Paris is a long way away.

Same here Debra - I think our Maire turns a blind eye as we are a very small village, and of course we are all, super, sensible citizens!

I probably have one fire per year, and never burn anything toxic, and take all of that to the dump, where you need to pass an exam to know where each item goes!!!!

I found this

L’arrêté préfectoral n°2009/DDAF/SFEE/257 en date du 09 juin 2009 relatif à la prévention des incendies de végétation dans le département de la Vienne

which sets out all the rules for fires: but there are no actual dates on it - it depends on all sorts of environmental conditions, which is why you need to ring the mairie.

Thanks for the info.

Telephone the mairie, they are open from 9-12 on a Saturday

Horaires d’ouvertures
Lundi au vendredi : 8h30 à 12h30 et 13h30 à 17h30
Samedi : 9h00 à 12h00

Coordonnées
12 place du Général de Gaulle
86400 CIVRAY

Tel : 05 49 87 00 49
Fax : 05 49 87 94 24
Email : civray@cg86.fr
Site Internet : www.civray.fr

The Mairie can tell you - I have helped friends who live locally with this issue.

The Mairie was very clear as to the guide lines, so they knew exactly when they could light a fire.

Generally fires are not allowed in the height of summer due to the obvious risk.

I have also used the Mairie to check out local water restrictions as well - they are a mine of useful info - use them!

I have HUGE pile of things waiting to be burned, and I have avoided it as the weather has been so hot- once it cools, I shall be out there - nothing quite as good as a garden bonfire in early autumn!