Garden visitors 2019

Fortunately they seem to stop their noise before my bedtime, Jane.

Whilst I was typing away last night, I could hear “twit twooo” from somewhere just outside my window - which would be Tawny Owls, I believe. :relaxed::relaxed::thinking:

I go to bed fairly early and read and listen to Radio 3.
I wake up early too as my room faces east.

Garden very dry, topping up water trays for whatever needs a drink.
Hedgehogs seem to have disappeared, all bar one faithful who visits late each evening.

Yesterday, we saw the first giant dragonfly. We get them every year around this time. Used to get them in UK too. So swift, so graceful :hugs:

2 Likes

Record Breaking night tonight: 5 glow-worms. Quite well spaced, one high on a wall, a couple at ground level and the others blazing out from the tips of some weed or other…

Each is giving the others space, since each is trying to attract a male (for a bit of nookie)

2 Likes

To dry & laborious to find out at the mo, but can’t wait for a bit of snow or wet weather to see if we have them, I enjoy tracking wild animals. BTW the farm is just across the field from me.

One came for a drink whilst I was swimming.

1 Like

We have wolf sightings in the south of the Creuse

Same here

Young calves have been eviscerated. Many animals attacked. Everyone is on the alert.

However, one farmer found 2 dogs attacking his sheep/lambs… so it is not ALL down to wolves.

Nightview cameras may well supply us with more info.

Thankfully, no dogs or wolves come into my garden. :laughing:

Not in my garden, but flying-high above - 3 fabulous black storks, Cigogne Noire. Looking up at them, the contrast was very marked - fabulous jet-black wings and the white body.

They appeared to be playing then, eventually got back on track and flew away. Hoping we’ll see them again.

I know the local Wildlife Society have been preparing certain sites, hoping to tempt these beautiful birds and others… all are welcome.

I think it is considerably more likely (by a factor of about 1000000000 to 1) that sheep being worried are being worried by dogs. Too easy to cry wolf.

I agree Vero.

I have been shown a couple of photos of the damage done to some young calves and it is horrendous. If there are dogs around doing that ! I don’t want to meet them in my meanderings.

So far, DNA testing has been inconclusive - so we wait to see what happens next.

Wolves are protected and I like to think we can all co-habit amicably. Dogs are not protected and need to be properly trained by their Owners or risk a bullet.

1 Like

One of our friends has a house with a fishing lake and he caught leptospirosis, he thinks because there are ragondins close by.

How unfortunate for your friend.

Folk with lakes have to take great care and seek help/advice/treatment at the first sign of anything adverse.

It is more of a problem when water courses are low as well.

1 Like

Yes, indeed - water levels are horribly low in many areas.

One or two public lakes have been closed to Bathers, just to be safe, during this hot, dry period.

He s well now, but taking more care.

1 Like