Gardening questions and chat!

I don’t think it’s possible to regulate how much you grow and then how much you use - far too many variables! Having grown too many leeks the previous year, we planted fewer this year and guess what? We’ve run out :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Over the weekend I sowed some onions :onion: in pots to transplant out in April.

1 Like

I’ve got a 1/2 kg bag of reds ready to go in the ground. Red onions quite expensive here and the ones I grew last year are fabulous, still going strong now and were harvested in June!

2 Likes

I haven’t tried growing onions from seed for years. Do you get better results than from sets?

Knowing nothing about the joys of growing stuff, I have bee trying to cultivate euonymus japonicus as repair to our hedging. I took cuttings with nodes on them, dipped them in ground cinamon and put them in jars with water. After about 3 weeks little roots began to appear so after another 3-4 weeks in just water I potted them in rich grow bag soil and they seem to be doing well. Cuttings I took probably too late in the season are months in water without showing roots, would this be normal as they sleep for winter?

Were they cuttings of the same shrub? @JaneJones is an expert on this sort of thing but my experience is that you can take cuttings in the summer(softwood cuttings) and they generally root reasonably well, although I put them in compost rather than water. Late in the year they (hardwood cuttings) tend to need a different approach.

All the cuttings were from the top, fresh growth of different bushes. Google suggested cinamon as a sort of routing compound. They are still alive in the water ( since November 3rd) just havent developed roots. I tried something more basic the previous autumn and had 3 grow out of a batch of 2 dozen. This is at least working better but I just wondered if its not the right time of year for roots. I re potted a couple the other day which were the earlier cuttings and they had quite good if fine root growth.

Yes, much better from seed, they tend to grow bigger depending on spacing and not bolt. I grow ailsa-craig (these can get very big / competition type of onion) but plant 3-4 in one spacing to get more in a row and not to get too big’r an onion. Rows 1’ apart spacing 7-8" between the plants.

1 Like

I also use cinnamon as a natural rooting powder, as well as a sprinkle on top of seedling pots as a natural mould inhibitor.

2 Likes

1 Like

Lettuces sown today!

2 Likes

Gave it a like but havent a clue if thats good or bad. Looking forward to learning to grow my own though. :+1:

Yep very good thing, I should have some nice young plants for the garden at the end of next month.

1 Like

Here’s the lettuce seedings :seedling:

5 Likes

Quick question for @JaneJones ! I meant to mention before but the kalette plants I grew from the seeds you very kindly sent me have proved to be a massive hit! Could you remind me where you got them from please, as I threw away the packet without making a note?

Yippee, we are eating them weekly right now. Love the little fluffy things.

I think we got dutch ones here. Happy to go halves on a new packet, and can email stamp. Doesn’t look as if we’ll make it to NE to collect this Spring.

https://www.lesgrainesdefrance.com/panier.html

1 Like

@AngelaR and @JaneJones,
If you have any plants you can probably take cuttings from the stalks or the fleurettes, just as you can with kale. POP them into compost/ potting mix and water.

I did that last year from the fleurettes last and they flowered instantly!

excellent - I’ll put in an order shortly and let you know :smiley:

@Wozza what’s the update now?

1 Like