Gardening questions and chat!

Try plant your hedging through membrane, it’ll help kill off the bindweed or at the least, weaken it so the hedge plants can thrive. Jane’s right, you really shouldn’t buy/ plant until November, I’ve order some here in the UK and they won’t arrive until near the end of November.

Sorry to hear that didn’t work for you. I planted a wilderness hedge back in January 2011 using bare rooted hedging plants from Planfor. The hedge is over 100 meters and I bought a mixture of over ninety young plants. They have done splendidly and as it’s a hedge which I never prune, some of them now are trees. I think I lost about 5 plants and in fact over time that hasn’t really been an issue as they have filled out. I laid membrane and a drip watering system the length of the hedge and watered it thoroughly for the first couple of years or so. In fact in the end the membrane was more nuisance than it was worth and i ripped it out. But then my hedge is VERY wild and I have no problem with weeds growing up through it. Bindweed is lovely when it flowers.
https://www.planfor.fr/

I’d be cautious of gamm vert plants. The nursery side of the business is not their main concern and I don’t think the staff know enough to keep their perennial plants pristine. Also, for what they offer they are quite expensive.

2 Likes

A few years ago I shoved an Asiatic lily I’d bought as long house flowers in the ground. It since comes up ever year. I didn’t cut it down as early as normal this year and it went dry and small son knocked it over today. There seems to lots of baby bulbs that were just below ground level that come off with the stem. The stem then seems to continue down further, so I’m presuming the main bulb is still in the ground? Can I replant what has come up? As is or separate them all? Now or in spring?

The stem:

My gardening mantra is to do it (whatever it is) when I am motivated to do it and have the time. So replant them now. Will take years to grow into flowering lilies, so maybe create a small nursery square and plant them in a regular grid so you remember they are there and don’t weed them out. They won’t look like much in first years…sort of thick grass.

If you cam!t find the original bulb in the centre, then it has probably rotted away and the downwards stem is actually a root. But maybe not!

2 Likes

Oh so you think that the small ones are all that are left? I’ll shove it in the ground as is (or separate?) on Tuesday when I’m out on strike then :rofl:

And thank you!!

Separate them. And one day, in many years’ time when you have completely forgot about them you willhave a display of flowers.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks I’ll do that!!! Planting depth?

Well I’ve taken board what’s been said and if we can get enough plants we’ll try this membrane. Thanks

2 Likes

We have a neighbor on one side of us with an immaculate lawn but that’s it. He obviously has no interest in plants and trees. His dad came round in early spring to spray the boundaries drive patio etc. The spray must have been pretty powerful as not a single weed has grown along our boundary fence. Now we’ve planted some very vigorous hedging along this boundary but the weeds and grass have also been pretty vigorous so we are trying to tidy it and feel we have to put some lining down so that he has no cause to complain about our weeds spreading to his patch. We’ve never used lining before and there seems to be a fair bit of choice and prices. We only want the lining to last a couple of years. Presumably it’s pegged in place and will destroy any existing weeds? I’ve found this from manomano, it costs 53 Euros for 20x1 mètres

Non-tissé contre les mauvaises herbes Ground Control Noir 150 g/m² 1 x 20 m - Noir

At that price I hope it’s good, but my experience of that sort of thing hasn’t been great. I’ve tended to use woven stuff of a similar weight and I think the non-woven I’ve used before has been lighter so that might be why it hasn’t worked.

For pegging down, I found these to be useful because they could be moved if necessary. If you are sure they won’t be moved, you can use the plastic button-type pegs.

I’d get some thicker stuff, if you can and it’s within your price range, no point spending a fortune if you want to remove it after a couple of years. The ground pegs that Angela posted are great, personally I’m not keen on the plastic things as they can be difficult in stony or clay ground. The idea is the membrane blocks out light that starves the weeds so they can’t develop, bind weed will make a valiant effort to grow but it’s weak & easily pulled out.
Just a thought but as you’re not covering a wide area you could get the thinner stuff & fold it in half, that would work.

So when I’m making a comparison of what’s available I need to look at the weight and the type?

Absolutely you do! The heavier the better. A lot of people prefer the non-woven stuff and may well know what they are talking about! However, the ones that look like Vilene interfacing (my Mum was a dressmake :roll_eyes: ) are completely useless in my view, probably because they are too light to do any good.

I tend to use this sort of stuff, but it does fray if you move it/replant things a lot.

1 Like

If you can find toile de paillage en jute, chanvre, ou coco this is very thick, and will naturally degrade after a number of years.

Best to weed before you put down whatever you get, and plant through it rather than try to fit it round the plants. If you are planting bare root whips this isn’t too fiddly . Cut crosses in the material with the centre of the cross where stem of plant is. Fold back the triangles, plant and then unfold round plant (you may have to cut off tips of triangles)

1 Like

Lots of good advice from Jane & Angela , the thicker the better and a good layer of mulch on top, I put a border of stones dug up from the garden to both hold edges of membrane down and keep the mulch in a bit! If you get the woven type , you can seal the edges after cutting with a flame, I use a cooks blowtorch, I’m not allowed anything bigger in case it all gets out of hand :rofl:

1 Like

It’s just for the hedge mainly to keep our neighbour happy but also we have enough to do elsewhere. So thanks for the advice. I’m sure it’ll be fine

1 Like

We have, or rather had, Hypericum under a walnut tree. It started well years ago, but has now spread everywhere in its bed and has killed off most other plants. It didn’t even flower most years. We find it very annoying too! We are in the process of getting rid of it, as far as possible. But it is difficult to pull out.

2 Likes

I can seriously sympathise. We kept it because it was one of the (few) original shrubs in the garden planted by Mme Pepin (what a lovely name) but we have really regretted it. It spreads everywhere and, as you say, is not fun to try to remove…

1 Like

Arrrggghh been trying to trim it back today, has overtaken an iris / peonie area :japanese_ogre: haven’t dug, just cut them :roll_eyes:

1 Like