Gates on a property?

It always amazes me how as someone who has chosen to live in France your only contributions seem to find fault and throw insults. I really believe that you would be much happier somewhere else. Finding that somewhere might however be a big problem.

Oh come on Dan — ease up a bit. There are always things that seem a bit incongruous no matter where one might live.
I mean a foreigner might observe that the English seem to divide into two camps on Sunday mornings — those that go to church and those who wash their car for example. :slight_smile:

It’s an observation. You do seem to share his views so it comes as no surprise that you are defending him. I find his comments offensive.

How is That offensiv to you

All of my neighbours have gates on their properties, none of them is trying to keep up or overtake the Joneses. I disliked the fact that someone was suggesting that a whole population used traditional architectural styles to make them appear superior to people like Barry.

You probably offend allot of French people to Posh English pensioner living in France I’m just saying

@Bajen, Martin it’s hard to know what all French people think about English people in their town. I am beginning to form an impression of what people may think of me, but it might be quite wrong.

French people who know me best are our neighbours, mostly people of our own age. Some, a few, are very friendly and ‘look after our interests’. If we aren’t seen for a couple of days they discuss our absence. They invite us to share a coffee, just for a chat, a brin de causette, To look at the garden.

Others’ acknowledge us with a wave or a smile. They have got used to seeing us, we have started to merge into the familiar background. Our relationship.is just that, but it is the basis for more if we want or need it to be, or the circumstances require.

Other people are strangers, but we recognise each other in the street or in the shops. We are somehow part of each other’s daily wallpaper. We may not talk to each other, but it is reassuring to see them, it gives me a sense of belonging and if security. I think it’s the same for them. We can feel it.

In shops and offices a similar situation has developed. In several places my name is known by the people I meet: the hairdresser can always find my loyalty card in her little box. The same in the local ironmonger and electrics store. The man who delivers our hearing oil knows me by my first name.

The sapeurs-pompiers who bring an annual calendar and accept a donation and our sincere thanks are the same couple every year, a man and a woman, and I always associate them with the approach of Christmas!

This isn’t a complete list, just a fragment from the lovely mosaic of life. The sense of belonging is like a complex perfume, it is hard to describe but unforgettable and precious.

The essential ingredient is, it seems to me, a willingness to reach out to others and make contact.

It seems that not all English people who settle in France want to, or are capable of, doing this, usually because they don’t speak or understand French.

There’s a famous saying “Just connect”. I don’t know who said it, but it’s the only way to live and share this precious life, and IMO France is the ideal culture for it to succeed.

6 Likes

@Peter_Goble
While I don’t speak much french, even after being here 10 years, your evaluation of living in France is the same as mine, wonderful.

I just wish I’d made this move earlier.

Viva la France x