Getting old, but not yet old enough

Hey, watch who you’re calling a pareodile ! :grin:
Actually I’m inclined to both. I spent 35 years as a software (and sometime hardware) engineer but was also very good at problem solving which involved seeing patterns and relationships in things that others usually didn’t.

2 Likes

Ironically, the only time I ever lost control of a car on black ice was when the air temperature was about 8C. I was on a country lane which was exposed both sides and a very high wind. The wind chill caused the black ice and I slid and clipped a parked car. I knocked on the door by the car and a bedroom window opened. I’d hit the parked car of a policeman that had just fallen asleep after coming off a night shift. :astonished::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I’ve never lost control of a car on black ice, but have dropped motorcycles a couple of times for that reason. :stuck_out_tongue:

Never smile at a pareodile,
No you can’t get friendly with a pareodile.
He’ll be taken in, when your tee shirt grins
He’s imagining that it would like to be against his skin.

Never smile at a pareodile,
Just nod and turn, won’t take a while.
Pass the thing, never stay,
he won’t know that it’s cold today
Just be sure you never smile at a pareodile.

Pareidolia: The science behind seeing faces in everyday objects : Pareidolia: The science behind seeing faces in everyday objects | Lenstore.co.uk

3 Likes

Thanks. I was being lazy and was sure that someone else would explain better than I!

1 Like

I once managed to fall off a motorcycle while stationary at a set of traffic lights, with both my feet on the ground. :smiley:

I had come to a halt on a patch of black ice and with (I assume) a slight shift of my weight the bike slid out from under me.

Most embarrassing. Thankfully neither I nor the Honda were harmed in the making of this comedy moment.

2 Likes

I did something similar when I stopped where a truck had leaked diesel from its tank. The tarmac looked fine but zero grip.

1 Like

I remember stopping at traffic lights on my bicycle while wearing cleats, and finding that on the side I’d put my leg to the tarmac the clip had worked loose.

So, 90 degree turn.

Glad to hear it’s not just me!! I haven’t done it since I got my current bike though, I think motorcycle tyre grip has improved a bit since the late 70s!

1 Like

Known as a “comedy SPD moment” in mountain biking circles, when you can’t unstick your foot from the pedal after stopping. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I fell off my bike when the lace of one of my trainers came undone and wound tightly round the pedal, fixing my foot to it.

1 Like