Getting rid of a RHD car

We had a couple of chassis in the garden of our first French home and this is exactly what we did!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your comments. It has been really useful to discuss. I will report back if I finally get the car to the Casse!!

1 Like

Er… informally, what were the options for dealing with that with Swansea?

Please do. I will really look forward to seeing what happens for you.

Is this not just a collection of parts for a VW Golf ?
Somewhere out there is a Golf enthusiast who will probably be very happy to come and take said collection of spare parts away for you. Try a suitably worded advert on Le Bon Coin. €50 provided you take all the parts.

1 Like

We gave our RHD merc to someone here who restores mercs for the same reason. It had been in our lives 20 odd years and we couldn’t bear the thought of it going to the scrap yard.
A year or so later, he told us that our clapped out merc was running beautifully! We bought it back from him. :grin:

1 Like

Yes a very good thought. In fact my plumber is a golf enthusiast but the problem is what to do with the body after it has been stripped of the parts? I was advised that the Casse wouldn’t take it. The plumber wasn’t interested in the end for that reason. So I would be back to breaking it up with angle-grinder as suggested!

I also sold it for 1 euro to someone who wanted to restore it but he then showed no interest!

So it was back to the drawing board - hence my post.

I’ve seen an empty chassis turned into a work of art… also, another one became a chicken roost… yet again… a floral display in a garden…

1 Like

My concept is that the parts buyer takes all the parts in the state that they are; i.e still attached to one another. The disposal of the unwanted pieces then becomes the problem of whoever bought your parts collection.
For someone who has the space and the tools, the collection of parts will be worth quite a bit of money. Someone needs the bonnet, another person a door, and another will want a wheel or two. Then of course there are all the seats and other interior fittings, light units, mirrors, radiator, water pump, alternator etc.
Have a look online for a VW Golf Owners Club. Bound to be someone there who will happily come and take it away for you.

1 Like

Some years ago I knew someone with a wrecked car in his garden that he had problems when trying to dispose of it…he had a big garden and eventually got a mate with a JCB to dig a big hole and bury it.

We lived in a house in the UK that had this big mound in the garden where (apparently, because we never actually investigated) a Hillman Minx was buried. :grin:

The problem with simply burying stuff (whatever)… is that unless all the “nasties” are removed and disposed of correctly/safely… there’s a real risk of pollution/poisoning the ground and the water supply. :roll_eyes: