Good news at last

I thought you were, I didnt get it clear though hence asking again. :+1:

1 Like

Love Salzburg.
Wonderful cafes and Mozart Balls.

2 Likes

I love an Aston Martin :heart_eyes:

Which is great (apart from the obscene cost/elitism involved) until you get to the bit that points outā€¦ā€¦

:no_mouth:

I have had a Renault that lays down a smoke screen. For sale if you want it. (Please note, not road legal.)

1 Like

To not get a fine then 85 is the ā€˜toleratedā€™ maximum. Or have I missed something?

1 Like

Possibly but I wouldnt try it, that 5kph extra means you wont get a fine or loose a point on your licence but 1 more kph and you will get the fine I believe.

1 Like

as alwaysā€¦ best to consider the signed speed limit is just thatā€¦ the limitā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Unfortunately not, you will still get a fine for speeding if you are 5km/h over the speed limit once your 5km tolerance is taken into consideration. So if you are doing 81 in a 70 you will be clocked at 76 so fine issued, and one point.

Edit.
80km/h recorded at 75km/h - fine but no point
81km/h recorded at 76km/h - fine and 1 point.

If you are 5km under the speed limit once the 5km tolerance is taken then yes you could do 90 in an 80 and only get a fine, however, always best to stay close to the speed limit.

I Think what you are missing b33jay is that this reform only concerns points not fines. See my original post. So if a speed camera clocks you at
82 in an 80 zone you could still get a fine. I dont know why people are talking about 90 in an 80 zone.

As you should, because you are speeding. Or is this what you are objecting to? I donā€™t see what the problem is and Iā€™m confused now. Surely either thereā€™s a limit or there isnā€™t.

4 Likes

But there is a 5kph allowance. Not suggesting people use that as an excuse but it is still easy to go 2-3km over the stated limit with just a minor downhill. Especially easy with an analogue speedo. Thats the reason I bought a heads up digital, I am not intending to speed but it does happen, having it at eye level makes it much easier to watch the road and the speed.

Im NOT objecting! just trying to explain it as i understand it. As far as im concerned it is Good News at Last. which i s why i started this thread and named it that way. I would however object if you could do 90 in an 80 zone as some have claimed. For claritys sake here it is from the horses mouth:

End of point removal for ā€œsmallā€ speeding

PubliƩ le 19 dƩcembre 2023 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)

This page has been automatically translated. Please refer to the page in French if needed.

CrĆ©dits : Alicja WĆ³jcik - stock.adobe.com

The reduction of one point on the driving license in the event of speeding less than 5 km/h shall end with effect from 1er January 2024, as stated in a decree of December 6, 2023.

The new rule comes into force on 1er january 2024: speeding less than 5 km/h will only be punished by way of a ticket and will no longer result in a reduction of one point of the driving license.

ā€œSmallā€ speeding offenses, less than 5 km/h, are now punished with a one-point reduction on the driving license and a flat-rate fine ranging from ā‚¬68 to ā‚¬135.

FYI : the reduction of one permit point will apply from 2024 only for speeding between 5 and 20 km/h.

Statute and miscellaneous references

I fully understand that only the points element is changing.

At 82 in an 80 you will NOT get a fine because the tolerance of the recorded speed is in the regulations - 5k/hr up to 100 k/hr limit and 5% above 100. Itā€™s 10% tolerance for mobile-mobile (in car) detection.

The tolerance is taken from the recorded speed.

Well I am glad we established that.

In its wisdom the French government accepts that recording devices cannot be 100% accurate and has decreed that a tolerance will be applied to the recorded speed.

In the UK the National Police Chiefs Council has issued guidance that 110% +2mph of the recorded speed will be the speed at which enforcement commences.

Some people are prepared to risk using the tolerance to exceed the posted limited usually by using gps speed and not the vehicle speedometer with its manufacturers ā€œsafety marginā€ of under-reading the actual speed.

Yesterday, I followed, for 20 miles, a car that reduced speed at each posted limit including a number 20mph sections. The driver appeared to be accepting the car speedo as accurate whereas, in fact, it was under-reading by 4mph. Travelling long sections at 16mph in a 20 zone is not appealing!

That is what I was trying to say. If you do 90 you will be recorded at 85, you will get a fine but no points. If you do 91 you will be recorded at 86 so point and fine.

2 Likes

There seem to be quite a few people here whose idea of the law is based on what ā€˜some bloke down the pub reckonsā€™ better to stick to official sources

And to rephrase @vero 's earlier observation, if you do not exceed the posted speed limit, you will definitely not be fined. If you exceed the speed limit by 5kph or less (actual speed, not that shown by your speedometer) then you are very unlikely to receive a fine.