Good news at last

:rofl: :rofl: donā€™t mock the afflictedā€¦ my hands wonā€™t behave todayā€¦ and Iā€™m fed up with correcting myself all the timeā€¦
so Iā€™ve decided not to botherā€¦ everyone knows what Iā€™m talking aboutā€¦ whether spelling is correct or just awfulā€¦ :wink: :wink:

Think of it as Darwinian natural selection -

ā€¦so losing trottinistes(?) in such circumstances will ultimately strengthen the gene pool :wink:

1 Like

They all drive Audis when they arenā€™t on their trottinettes, that explains it. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Iknow weā€™re all chucklingā€¦ but this was actually a horrible 20 minutesā€¦ watching so many near-missesā€¦ :frowning: :dizzy_face:

Hi Vero, asked you a question on a thread that maybe you donā€™t follow, so Iā€™ll take this opportunity - whatā€™s the French term for a mackerel sky?

Comme Ƨa

1 Like

Oh sorry, I hadnā€™t seen! Off the top of my head I canā€™t think of an equivalent, we say un ciel qui moutonne but that would be little round fleecy clouds. What is it they say in English? mackerel sky mackerel sky not long wet and not long dry? Not the sort of weather you got chez moi on the CĆ“te dā€™Azur when I was growing up :slightly_smiling_face: Iā€™ll ask my colleagues tomorrow, maybe they will be more clued-up than I am. Also I think it is a 40 Inuit names for snow type question, English is far keener on weather maybe because thereā€™s more variability in a day OH STROKE OF GENIUS ask Breton people, they are bound to know!

Edited to add I looked it up (not too proud to admit it) and they suggested ciel pommelĆ© but I have a prob with that because pommelĆ© means dappled like a horse not barred like a mackerel. Also I saw a literal translation saying ciel de maquereau and then some nonsense about resemblance to fish scales which proves they donā€™t know what they are talking about and have never seen a mackerel.

3 Likes

Try thisā€¦

'un ciel pommelƩ (AC ou SC perlucidus)

2 Likes

Thanks for the fulsome reply - we get many of these in the Lot Valley, but also got them, albeit more rarely on the Cumbrian coast overlooking the Solway Firth. Iā€™m writing this sat opposite forty of my wifeā€™s paintings of Solway skies as seen from the same window of our former home.

Cirrus minor?

1 Like

Yes but as I said pommelĆ© is really dappled not barred or brindled (bringĆ©) so faute de mieux it will do but I donā€™t find it satisfactoryšŸ™‚.
And it isnā€™t to do with scales whatever dictionaries may say, just look at mackerel skin!

So beautiful.

3 Likes