Good News - Generosity is alive and well

Do folk give in order to receive recognition? Surely, that is not the idea of giving ?

Folk who give (to whatever) will not get recognition (generally) - unless they ask for a receipt to claim against their tax.

In France there is quite a wide range of donations which can be set against the Impots - for the ordinary person, just the same as companies.

With such large sums as we are discussing today - the gift is impossible to keep a secret - and the publicity may encourage others to put their money to similar good causes.

1 Like

Personally I’d rather have tax-money spent on fixing %$#@ potholes on NY streets.

In some cases, people DO give just for the publicity.
There are high-profile donations made which receive little or no publicity because they are not news-worthy.

Here’s info on how-to-pick an organisation (US)

Have you got a similar site for European charities ?

Nope, I only have experienced US-style charity.

Here’s someone who only got found out for his generosity after his demise you may think there are others?

3 Likes

Lets hope so. Compare that to those who do it partially for PR and taxation reasons.

2 Likes

Lily,
Nice read, I’m sure there are plenty of others with fame & fortune that help & are very generous financial with it too, but rather to keep out of the lime light.

2 Likes

Very often large donations end up carrying the name of the donor, Robinson College in Cambridge as opposed to Oxford.
In Lancaster James Williamson was a huge benefactor. He made his fortune in linoleum and he donated the public baths, Williamson Park and the beautiful Ashton Memorial, which can be seen from the M6 and which many see as the start of their holiday in the Lakes, in memory of his wife.
My Jim has a lot to live up to!

4 Likes

A worthy cause.

2 Likes

Hope those students are grateful and not like the ones in South Africa who toppled the statue of Rhodes!

Well as I think Rhodes was a despot it was no bad thing in my opinion !

In 1887 he told the House of Assembly in Cape Town: “The native is to be treated as a child and denied the franchise. We must adopt a system of despotism in our relations with the barbarians of South Africa.” His 1892 Franchise and Ballot Act effectively eliminated African voting rights. He repeatedly reminded his colleagues of the “extreme caution” they must exercise when it comes to “granting the franchise to coloured people.”

2 Likes

Let’s celebrate generosity as and when if occurs. :hugs: without any strings attached… re gratitude etc :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Have you ever and would you now live in South Africa, or any part of Africa, Anne Coe?

Steady @anon89172871 - it’s a trap!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Don’t you just love ‘loaded’ questions?!

1 Like

I’m not a fan of ‘history revision’, Rhodes like many benefactors of his day made his money by exploiting others but we should learn from this rather than pretend it never happened.

3 Likes

Why does that matter to you Fay ? Just for information there is no e at the end of my name, its ANN, short and sweet like me !

1 Like

Sorry about the ‘e’ Ann Cole, I hate it when people do it to me! As for my question being loaded if it is it is subconscious. I was brought up in Africa and visited several times over the years and longed to go back. A wonderful country with wonderful people especially the locals. When all is said and done they are still not ready to be able to be as civilised as the western world. Whites have become the minority and being slaughtered. Rhodes was a benefactor even though he was brave enough like Smith in Rhodesia, to tell the truth. If someone paid my education fees I would not topple their statue no matter what slander was said against them.