Growing / starting sweet potatoes

I’m struggling to find the helpful sweet potatoes slip instructions from @hairbear (I think?). Also drives me nuts having to scroll 100s of post s in the general garden thread so thought I’d start a separate one!

So is now the time to start my slips? :grin:

I think the relevant expert said end Feb/beginning of March…

1 Like

Yes! It was @Griffin36 and this was his link…

1 Like

My one has started sprouting

1 Like

Is that just an organic one from the shop? Dry dirt?

One I bought from the local shop, so not bio, I washed it first thinking that there might be anti- sprouting chemicals on it. I keep the soil lightly moist at the bottom. This is a first for me, never grown any before, trial and error method :grinning:

1 Like

Keep us updated!

I shall be trying @griffin26 's method after looking a bit more widely on-line.
The question is - shall I use the sweet potatoes I have left ovr from lat year or shall I get another variety instead/as well :thinking:

Can’t do anything at the moment though - frozen to my chair and wearing 3 jumpers…

1 Like

Oh no! General freezing or heating problems?

1 Like

It has been a tad chilly up in the Manche, cold north easterly wind.

1 Like

Combination! We don’t have any real heating apart from the woodburner. As @Mark says though, it has been bitterly cold - I wasn’t prepared for 6 degrees mid afternoon at one point :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I tried growing a sweet potato plant last year for the first time. It’s funny they’re in the morning glory family, because that weed is the bane of my life. It didn’t take up nearly as much space as I thought it would, and gave a really good yield, so I will definitely be trying them again this year. I haven’t tried them from slips before, but I think a good method is to stick 3 or 4 cocktail sticks into a sweet potato, then let the bottom sit in a jar of water for a few weeks until they root. That’s what I’m going to try anyway.

1 Like

That’s certainly the method that @griffin36 has a lot of success with. I’ve never tried slips before either but it doesn’t look that hard :thinking:

2 Likes

OK, was too tired to go to GF on Friday so bought a sp from Lidl. Is it worth trying for slips?

1 Like

What have you got to lose? Other than perhaps a meal that includes sweet potato. :slight_smile:

I’ve had a couple suspended in water as previously suggested for about 10 days now. Not a lot seems to be happening yet although I think there are a few little roots starting. Will keep you posted. Always worth a try, isn’t it? Not a lot lost apart from the efferot of occasionally watering (if using soil) or changing the water (if suspending)

1 Like

I was at gamm vert yesterday and much to our amusement 2 daughters and I saw a sweet potato for planting, in a sealed packet, going for 7€.

3 Likes

Saw that in jardi Leclerc same price last week :astonished:

Good God alive, 7€ a pop! Umm, I’m thinking business opportunity here, putting a radiator in the cellar with some lighting and growing sweet potato slips for mass production also the heat’ll convex & become underfloor heating for the living room.
From my experiment (first attempt growing them) sweet potatoes are easy to grow slips from & if I’ve done my research correctly with one slip with many nodes you can get many more slips to root from. @Griffin36 you’ve been quiet of late, hope all’s well, have you any input on this and growing the SP’s?

1 Like