Had your UK voting papers yet?

This forum shows that the system has failed – we’re just a drop in the ocean – and solutions are so simple, but I guess the only choices we have are to manage upwards pushing local and national authorities to act!

Firstly why can't we recognise that the vast majority (myself included) always vote the same way – so why doesn't the ‘standing order’ equivalent exist in the world of postal votes, which we just revalidate.

Next, votes that require documentation, this it appears is in 2 categories – the postal vote kit that is general and a second part that is specific to a constituency. If postal voters had a pack that was general and which was the part that gave the authority for a postal vote then all they would need to do was download a specific part for the constituency. Much will not change – such as the address of the ‘returning officer’ and this can or should all be pre-prepared.

I am sure that the vast majority could join these 2 parts and return them in time!

Maybe this is too simple?

You should have been told to get an emergency proxy vote.

I concur, on both counts. Makes plain sense

Robert, you seem to have been lucky in your Council, but saying that you cannot see the problem is not very helpful to those of who have had problems with voting.

No it seems more like some offices have sensible procedures and others are pathetically awful. In my view they should all have posted (or email) the postal votes forms a couple of days after the election was called, instead they've waited until after the last voter was registered.

The person in charge is hired by the council, and clearly in many cases needs to be fired by the council forthwith.

I'm beginning to sense that something has gone quite wrong. I spotted this note on the website of the Wandsworth Electoral Office this morning:

"The way we all register to vote has changed and the new sytsem is called 'Individual Electoral Registration'. To Register to Vote go to www.gov.uk/register-to-vote" I have posted the quote verbatim including the spelling mistake so postcodes could easily be incorrect too!

Is it perchance possible that the new system (if it applies to all consituencies as seems likely) has got off to a less than stellar start?

My wife received her postal vote a week ago, I am still waiting! Several phone calls to the council who have assured me I was registered but still no ballot paper. I have just telephoned the council again and they have offered me another postal vote which is a bit stupid as it won’t arrive until after the election has finished. An emergency proxy vote would not even be entertained. If I wanted to complain they told me to contact the electoral commission, who in turn told me to complain to the local authority. It seems that nobody wants to take responsibility for this mess. I think my complaint will go straight to Number 10, for what it is worth!

Needs to look at proxies as well as postal votes

Can I suggest that after Thursday SFN run a poll/survey - did the overseas voting process work properly for you

yes comme il faut - minor hiccups - major hassle - no it failed

I registered to vote and subsequently for a postal vote.
When my voting form hadn’t arrived last week I rang the County Council (Northumberland) only to be told that I wasn’t on the list for a postal vote. By then it was too late to register.
I am really annoyed as I sent this form off over a year ago.
The “lady” in the electoral office was most unhelpful, she even told me not to send another form until after this election was over.

Mine has now arrived, with the wrong post code on it

I have TODAY received the form for a proxy vote and it's going to be possible for my son to vote for me in the UK. I appreciate that not everybody has somebody handy!

Well my wife applied for a postal vote a month ago, but they sent it the wrong address. BRILLIANT!

I registered as soon as I could, received a confirmation email with a letter attached stating I was registered but would have to re-register every year. I have not received my voting papers but when I emailed the council asking why they said they emailed me with the form to download and return. Needless to say I never received that email. Now it is too late and for the first time ever I will not be able to vote. I even voted by proxy when I worked in Libya. So many people have not received their papers and no one else has told me that they received the papers via email. We could make the difference too as we are people who would vote.

I think you should challenge especially as you have offered to go out of your way to go to the District Council offices with i/d to make up for their incompetence.

Totally frustrating. My wife and I sent off our postal ballot applications in March; in fact I phoned Ryedale District Council 10 days ago and was told they had received the applications on 26 March. But here we are, on 5th May, and still no ballot papers. I am so angry about this that I am thinking about challenging the validity of the election in Malton & Thirsk - after all, who knows how many other voters have been (deliberately or just incompetently?) disenfranchised? Ironically, we have just been in North Yorkshire for a week. I phoned the Electoral Officer and asked if we could come into the District Council offices with i/d, vote and leave trhe forms with them for Thursday. They said it was impossible. Why??

I have received a reply from the Electoral Officer for Wandsworth who seems to accept that there has been a mistake in my case and that I have now been offered an emergency proxy vote. I'm just organising that. They have responded well.

Too late! The post just arrived but no ballot papers. If politicians can't even organize a simple task likes that, can we trust them with the billions they spend on our behalf? Answers on a postcard to the next occupant of No. 10.

He should have died of shame when he was caught miming the Welsh anthem!

He the anti EU theorist!