Handy alerts to help reduce strain on the grid this winter

The ice had a funny metallic taste with a hint of mould when you licked it, probably from the steel framed single-glazing. Kids, eh !

I didn’t use to lick it… just gazed in wonder… and then lots of hufff 'n pufff on the glass to make more ice-magic …

how many kids have had their tongue stuck to the glass as a result of licking it :thinking:

I remember my first year at uni which was an unusually cold winter - ice on the inside of the window and having to get my sleeping bag out, zip into it and put the normal bedding on top - and that was *with* CH.

3 Likes

Being the age I am… I discovered as a child how to keep keep warm in bed without any heating…
Slip down below the covers… using the pillows as a barrier to the outside… makes it a bit like an igloo… no, you don’t suffocate 'cos it’s not air-tight… :wink: but the warm air expelled from the lungs provides a cosy atmosphere…

1 Like

Nah, that was the freezer compartment of the fridge :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

and as an adult?
:arrow_right_hook::coat:

1 Like

Crittall Window’s finest. First thing that got replaced in our old London house.

Apparently back in vogue these days amongst the more money than sense set.

2 Likes

…were clients of mine some years ago…
Fascinating company - not unlike Cadbury at Bourneville (Birmingham), they built a whole community village for their workers between Witham and Braintree at Silver End in Essex complete with village hall, schools, the lot.

3 Likes

Our first one got changed when physics got the better of my penalty kick from the front garden and my trusty goalkeeper friend dived the wrong way. On my birthday too. Parents none too pleased.

1 Like

Indeed so. To be more accurate I should have said that the timer ensures that the immersion heater is only capable of working between 3 and 7am. How long it actually works for depends on the time of year, and thus the temperature of the incoming cold water supply. At present we have a choice between hot and tepid water at our taps.

I threw a 3 year old dryer out immediately I got a letter to say it was one of the dangerous models that could catch fire - made in the UK too and being as it was in another building I could not keep an eye on it either without physically going there. Since then (approx 5 years ago now) I have not regretted getting rid of it and my bills were down plus my clothes lasted longer especially underwear. As my friend said, we have the biggest tumble drier in the world and its free especially in Bretagne where the wind blew every day.

Keep an eye out now as well for promos on cast iron cooking pots with lids. I got one years ago in LeClerc (Invicta which was also the manufacturer of my wood burner) and it was marvelous to put on top of the stove to cook when it was lit in winter, saved a lot of gas and electricity and I think the food tasted better. Think I paid around €45 when it was normally over €100. Lidl also have promos of such things too.

there are various ways… :rofl: :rofl:
Last winter we bought our first electric blanket… only a single size, we put it across the area where our feet will be about 15 mins before bedtime. click it on… and then, when ready for bed, we remove the blanket (having clicked it off) and drape it over one of the armchairs to cool …

Ooohh… it is lovely to feel that warmth… even heats the duvet…
Winter sheets are fleecy cotton but still can feel cold to the touch when the temps are way down…

I use a kettle meant for an Aga, with a trivet… it’s not bad.

Never had probs with a cold bed, one dog and three cats would take up residence long before I got in and then snuggle up so much they would pin the duvet down so I couldn’t escape. Miss them all very much.

2 Likes

I worked at a place built by Lever Bros somewhere in the Wirral, it was a lovely place, had everything needed at the time of building except a Pub as I believe the Lever Bros were Quakers.

as was Cadbury but I don’t think Francis Crittall was…

Port Sunlight?

2 Likes

Nope… animals IN the bed, simply not allowed… throwback to childhood when we had a menagerie… but each animal had its own bed… elsewhere…